My 89 K1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
Here's pics of the cam and main bearing. As well as (a) lifter, and the cam. Pretty much all lifters look the same and the same thing for the cam.

You must be registered for see images attach

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
8-1-23 update:

So since I've had a lot happen over the last few months(including getting a new job), I had to put this project on the back burner.

Now that I've been at my new shop for a while and taken care of some things, I can now start throwing money and parts at this thing.

First order of business: finish building the engine. I finally got everything I need to finish the block(I got the cam and lifters, and timing set in last week.)

My goal is to get the engine assembled and ready this weekend and in the next week or so get it dropped back in the truck and get it running. Then I can worry about the small things like tires, brakes, etc., etc.

Speaking of "thing", I need to name this thing and my brother told me he thinks it looks like a monster truck. Monster truck. I like it.

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
Today, i got the block mostly assembled. After I installed the valve train and went to begin the valve lash procedure, I noticed that after I threaded on the nuts for the rocker arms hand tight, there was about 6-8 threads left on the studs.

I checked all the push rods, rocker arms to make sure everything was seated properly and I can only get a few threads started before it bottoms out.

It feels like the push rods which are from the original tbi block are too long and pushing the rocker arm up, not allowing it to seat properly.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take note that your coolant bypass hole in the block for your water pump isn't drilled. You can run the Vortec water pump or you can drill the hole and run the TBI water pump.

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
Take note that your coolant bypass hole in the block for your water pump isn't drilled. You can run the Vortec water pump or you can drill the hole and run the TBI water pump.
Well I've already installed and torqued the heads so I won't be going that route. I'm going to install the vortec pump.