My 454 Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If a guy wanted to delete the rear o2 sensors in the tune what all needs to be changed?
Im finally thinking it's time for some shortie headers into high flow cats and dual exhaust with a H pipe.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, any recommendations on muffler(s) and pipe size?
Looking for that deep old school sound.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
Also, any recommendations on muffler(s) and pipe size?
Looking for that deep old school sound.

Dual 2.5" is plenty, Y it into a single or use and X/H pipe close to the headers(generally in the area where the cats are now).

Sound is very subjective, get on youtube and find something that has the sound profile you're looking for.

I'm running factory manifolds, no cats, two Dynomax Super Turbos Y-d into a single 3" over axle pipe with a Helmholtz resonator on it. I absolutely HATE drone, so most of my setups are built to mitigate that. My 'burb is also our family travel rig and car trailer toter, so loud exhaust is a no go(I don't want it to be defening either). At highway or interstate speed you can just barely hear the exhaust note over the wind/tire/engine noise, it's just right for me.

I prefer a Dynomax Ultraflow or Super Turbo, and generally go for the biggest case size I can fit, especially when no cats are involved. Most of the Flowmaster stuff isn't appealing to me, a 50 Series Delta Flow might be okay. Hooker Aerochambers also have a very aggressive deep sound, I ran one of the crossflow versions on my Z28 after the LS swap, it sounded like it ate small children when you fired it up cold.

You must be registered for see images attach

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If a guy wanted to delete the rear o2 sensors in the tune what all needs to be changed?
Im finally thinking it's time for some shortie headers into high flow cats and dual exhaust with a H pipe.
One would need to turn off the CEL for any errors the rear O2s would produce, and then you can just remove them without making them trip.

I can send you a screenshot via PM in a bit.

My pipes are 3" from the headers to the H-pipe and mufflers, then necked down to 2.75 due to back pressure needed for the HP. Sounds like an old-school 454 with too small of a pipe at low load and higher RPM, but it's through Magna flow Magnapacs, and it sounds mad and disgusting when I get on it.

@BNielsen has heard my truck before my tuning. I think he can vouch is sounds pretty good with those sizes. I would say since you have the cam to support some good HP and torque you can probably just go 3" dual all the way back.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cam is not big at all i dont think. 1200 to i think 5k RPM is all. More a "RV" style.
Speaking of tuning. I can't really figure out HPTuners much at all. I can do Vats delete, Idle speed, Timing, o2 sensors but Air flow and VE seems to be beyond my comprehension for adjusting. I watch vids and read but just not getting it. Wish someone lived close that could show me how to do it then i would understand.
Jealous of the younger guys that can figure it out without to much hassle.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If you can (properly) adjust timing, you can adjust the VE and MAF. You're shooting in the dark if you don't have a wideband tho.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can agree, @Mangonesailors truck sounds like a bad b•tch
I'm hankering to redo my entire exhaust, it's still all factory piping up until the mufflers, but then it's 2.5 out to 3 inch tips; didn't sound too bad with the Jones muffler but the glasspacks make me want to commit suicide, it's horrible.
Planning on a Spintech 9000 behind an H-pipe, 3 inch tailpipes out to 3.5 inch tips. But the wife's car needs new wheel bearings and tires, the red truck needs intake gaskets, and @Stumpy has some stuff I need to buy.

HPTuners seems super complicated at first, but once you play around with it a little it'll all start making sense. I still need a wideband so I can actually do more than just little basic adjustments but what little I've done with shift points is sort of fun to do.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
My pipes are 3" from the headers to the H-pipe and mufflers, then necked down to 2.75 due to back pressure needed for the HP. Sounds like an old-school 454 with too small of a pipe at low load and higher RPM, but it's through

Dual 3" is huge for a street driven torque oriented vehicle. The change from 3-2.75" isn't increasing ANY back pressure. In fact it's probably helping the scavenging effect by keeping the exhaust moving quickly and not cooling off as fast. It takes big HP and lots of revs to push dual 3" exhaust. The Magnapacks are giving you that old school glasspack rap. I won't argue that it probably sounds great, as I have a similar dual 2.5" setup on my LS powered '49 GMC, instead of Magnapacks, I've got the longest 4" case Thrush glasspacks they make.

I would say since you have the cam to support some good HP and torque you can probably just go 3" dual all the way back.

Again, I think this is overkill, and all it will be is loud. This is just my opinion, based on the fact I have built dozens of different exhaust systems, and read up on as much exhaust theory that I could absorb.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
Can agree, @Mangonesailors truck sounds like a bad b•tch
I'm hankering to redo my entire exhaust, it's still all factory piping up until the mufflers, but then it's 2.5 out to 3 inch tips; didn't sound too bad with the Jones muffler but the glasspacks make me want to commit suicide, it's horrible.
Planning on a Spintech 9000 behind an H-pipe, 3 inch tailpipes out to 3.5 inch tips. But the wife's car needs new wheel bearings and tires, the red truck needs intake gaskets, and @Stumpy has some stuff I need to buy.

HPTuners seems super complicated at first, but once you play around with it a little it'll all start making sense. I still need a wideband so I can actually do more than just little basic adjustments but what little I've done with shift points is sort of fun to do.

Those 9000s will be loud and drone, very unique sound, but they won't do much for muffling.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Those 9000s will be loud and drone, very unique sound, but they won't do much for muffling.
I'm hoping the H-pipe does a little bit, plus I'm going to be doing an obscene amount of sound deadener in my cab. The reason I chose the Spintech 9000 is because a buddy had them in his Ram, and I know it's apples to oranges, but they didn't seem to drone too bad.