My 1998 K1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
I posted this in the off-road build section, but I am looking for your alls feedback, so I will post it here also.

This is the progress of the truck since I got it until now. Suggestions are welcome and needed. :help:
______
Let me start by saying that I am a total noob on here. I am in college and make money during the summer, so my budget is unbelievably limited. My "build" is put to shame by literally every other thread in this forum, but I figured I'd show you all what I was doing with the truck anyway. :)

So, quick history: My dad bought the truck new when I was 6 years old. I remember getting in the back seat at the dealer and test driving it. I bought it off of him last summer, and have been fixing it up ever since.

Now for pics!

When I got it:
You must be registered for see images attach

1st mod:
Cepek 17X9 wheels with new rubbers

Check out this $12 walmart exhaust tip. Begged dad to buy it when I was 12. It was getting rusty after 6 years.

Replaced it with true duel Flowmaster Super 44 turndowns.

Billet grille:

BEFORE:

DURING:

As it sits now :hmm:

Also put in a K&N filter.

This week I am ordering TYC Elegante headlights and running lights. I need ideas for future mods, but you guys should know, I do not have the balls to debadge. :uhoh2:

What do you think?

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
I do have a few questions regarding my truck:

1: I have heard of the Elegante lights leaking, is this the case? If so, is there anyway to prevent it? My OEM lights never leaked, so I do not want to 'upgrade' to leaking ones.

2: Are the corners suppose to blink with the turn signals? When I took off the grille I noticed a bulb in there, but it did not light up.
-The reason I am asking is I would like to black out my corners, but if they are suppose to light up, I do not want to hinder visibility.

3: How hard is it to Herculine the frame?

4: Is there any trick to removing the velcro pads that are meant to hold on the bug deflector?

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I do have a few questions regarding my truck:

1: I have heard of the Elegante lights leaking, is this the case? If so, is there anyway to prevent it? My OEM lights never leaked, so I do not want to 'upgrade' to leaking ones.
most of the aftermarkets for these trucks leak, fix it by siliconing thembefore you put them on
2: Are the corners suppose to blink with the turn signals? When I took off the grille I noticed a bulb in there, but it did not light up.
-The reason I am asking is I would like to black out my corners, but if they are suppose to light up, I do not want to hinder visibility.
yes, the bottom ones, that bulb needs to be replaced, i would just smoke them, the light will shine through
3: How hard is it to Herculine the frame?

4: Is there any trick to removing the velcro pads that are meant to hold on the bug deflector?
these are all i can answer, im sure someone else will chime in in a bit to help

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
these are all i can answer, im sure someone else will chime in in a bit to help

Thanks! When you say silicon the lights, do you mean just go around with a bead where the lens and the housing connect?

I better replace those bulbs in my corners then. They are both out.

OBS ROCK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good looking truck!
Demolding would look good, but can be a pain to take off.
On mine there were some scratches left over, and I still have some glue marks that I cant get off!
Is that a 4.3L?

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
Good looking truck!
Demolding would look good, but can be a pain to take off.
On mine there were some scratches left over, and I still have some glue marks that I cant get off!
Is that a 4.3L?

Yeah, I am afraid of messing up the molding. Plus it doesn't look too bad as it is imo.

No sir, that is the 5.7L Vortec.

OBS ROCK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, I am afraid of messing up the molding. Plus it doesn't look too bad as it is imo.

No sir, that is the 5.7L Vortec.

Yeah it looks good with the molding!
I thought maybe you had the 4.3l because the non power windows/locks.
Thats how mine is.

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks! When you say silicon the lights, do you mean just go around with a bead where the lens and the housing connect?

I better replace those bulbs in my corners then. They are both out.

yes sir, make sure its water proof, and youll want clear so it doesnt look like crap

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
Yeah it looks good with the molding!
I thought maybe you had the 4.3l because the non power windows/locks.
Thats how mine is.

Nope, this is the "Cheyenne edition" or whatever. Basically means everything is non-powered lol. In the long run I am glad it is the basic package though. Vinyl holds up better than carpet. And leather seats age badly.

OBS ROCK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nope, this is the "Cheyenne edition" or whatever. Basically means everything is non-powered lol. In the long run I am glad it is the basic package though. Vinyl holds up better than carpet. And leather seats age badly.

Nice, mine is the 4.3l with non everything but I have carpet lol.
A mod you could do is lift it?