My 1997 Teal K1500 Build/Mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sumbitch

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I kind of like that...
Can't quite remember how long the plate of metal was but I honestly just drilled a 1/2" hole about every 3/4" and 1 1/2" from each edge. except for the last two holes on the right. Those were about 1" apart to accommodate larger toggle switches (a 3-way switch and a DPST toggle). Not a fan of drilling holes in my dash plus most of my switch panels are taken by cargo light, 4wd buttons, airbag switch. A guy could probably do a better job than I did. I used a cordless drill, tape measure, and C-clamp to drill out the holes.

Plus its SOOOO easy to wire up the switches. Wires come right outta the firewall hole behind the panel and boom. Done.

Last edited:

Sumbitch

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did this over a year ago. My buddy was selling his truck and I was helping him toss everything outta it so the guy who was buying it could take it right away. I told my friend I'd give him all the cash in my wallet for his realtree bench seat cover and he said it was a deal. I had two (2, zwei, dos) crumpled up dollars in my wallet when I opened it. So I figured I didn't care what happened to it. That Christmas I got a fancy bench seat cover from my clueless sister who didn't realize I have a 60/40 (40/20/40) front bench. I threw the fancy one in back and rigged myself a cover for the 60% of my front bench with my $2 cover. In doing so, I learned I have a slight knack for sewing. Or at least I can do it well enough to hold up for a bit over a year. This summer I had to buy another friend of mine two brand new Browning bucket seat covers to trade him for his Realtree bench seat covers (they don't make the same logo-ed seat covers as my $2 one anymore). Besides the console, my front bench looks pretty good. (I like having something to rest my elbow on while driving. Otherwise I would have flipped the console up, stretched a bench seat cover over it all and called it good.)
109431[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

not the cleanest...

Attachments

• 101_0342_zps22fc840e.jpg
    101_0342_zps22fc840e.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 1

Sumbitch

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know this post doesn't have to do with anything with mods or the building of my truck, but I happened upon a lil song I wrote a while back about my truck. Its a parody of "CJ-5 With Four-Wheel Drive", by C.W. McCall. Some say it'll also go along to the rhythm of "Convoy" by C.W. McCall, but it don't sound quite right to me. Anyways, I hope anyone who reads it gets some sort of kick outta it!

Chevy Truck With A Lil' Luck!
Written by ME
Down Fifty-One, I was havin' fun, when I passed a state patrol. I knew this bowtie would never die, so I took him for a stroll. Pushing ninety-nine, I was doing fine, my tires were straight and true. My engine roared, with the pedal floored, being chased by red and blue.
Now I got mudflaps, my exhaust raps, and smokey's got a Vic. Got a 350, that's pretty nifty, and really freakin' quick. Well the chase was on but I had the edge, with a rig that'll never fail. Got a Chevy truck with a lil bit of luck and smokey on my tail.
Well I let off the gas, hit some grass, my back end met the front. I fishtailed into that corn field and smokey was on the hunt. Well the mud was flying, smokey was crying, cause his car was fading fast. I was staying alive cause of four wheel drive in a truck that was built to last.
Now I got mudflaps, my exhaust raps, and smokey's got a Vic. Got a 350, that's pretty nifty, and really freakin' quick. Well the chase was on but I had the edge, with a rig that'll never fail. Got a Chevy truck with a lil bit of luck and smokey on my tail.
Well that Silverado was a damn fast auto, and could go anywhere on earth. Four A/T3’s were pushing me for all that they were worth. I finally hit Rainbow Drive doing sixty-five, and rubber was being laid. My ass fell off, while I laughed and coughed, at this overrated crusade. Now in the end, went around the bend, and put that hammer down. The time was right, I was out of sight, and behind me were them Crowns.
Well I got a tool box, off-road shocks, and smokey had a Vic. Got a 350, that’s pretty nifty, and damn is she quick! So that county mountie, put a big ol’ bounty, on my license plate. But he can’t catch me in this here Chevy, with a small block Vee-Eight!
"

Chris.G.Jr.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hell ya love the build and those lyrics are pretty damn good!! This truck reminds me of a certain truck i know

<<<<<<<<
<<<<<<<<
<<<<<<<<
<<<<<<<<

Sumbitch

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@ Vortec Lover: Thanks! My friends call me a "Witty Sumbitch" (hence my CB handle, hence my user name) cause of the stuff that I come up with. I even wrote a Lord's Prayer parody (I asked for forgiveness prior to its creation) about my buddy's beater Jeep Comanche. Might post it if I feel the need for some attention.

@Chris.G.Jr. : Thanks! Thats a beautiful colored rig you got there! No lie, when I first saw my truck (long story short. father's employee was getting a new personal vehicle, and I was getting his "old" one. all employee vehicles (personal and fleet) are company owned and insured, a nice benefit. And in a conversation mix up, I thought I was getting a red chevy colorado, which at the time, I wanted for its size and supposed fuel economy. The first posted picture on this thread is what my father pulled up in the driveway with. Turned out the employee's new vehicle was a red chevy colorado, not mine.) I was pissed. I hate non-neutral colors cause they show imperfections rather well and they are a PITA to match/touch-up. A month later, it grew on me. I wouldn't want any other color for my first truck. Especially now I have my rockers herculined, and I just think that two-tone looks badass.

Last edited:

nickl011

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really dig the rig and the lyrics, always been a fan of both that color and C.W.

Sumbitch

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@nickl011: Thank you! Appreciate the compliment from a fellow C.W. McCall fan.

Got a bug up my butt this afternoon (metaphorically, of course) to do something to me truck. Cobbled a bed divider with some scrap 2x4's for behind my sand-tubes to keep all my emergency and basic electrician supplies from sliding all over the place and to keep them out of the way if I need to throw something in the bed and go. I miss my old S10 toolbox (plastic, from s10 dad had YEARS before I was around) that I kept in the back of my bed with the topper on. (traded it for the tool box I currently have.) I need to build an actual tool box to fit in my topper. If I do happen to build a wooden one, I'll post it. The cobbled three-piece thing I made tonight isn't worth the cyber space it'd take up. However its probably worth saving myself the aggravation of wasting time moving things around for the next 3 months.
**Not sure if I typed all that out with the idea that maybe one person will read it or if I did it to remind myself to get it done before spring.

So anyway, spent two hours watching Beverly Hills Ninja and making a Mag-lite mount. I got a Mag-Lite and mounting clips (lil stubby one, not an 8-cell Mugger-Beater) for Christmas over a year ago and since then I couldn't think of a place to mount it. So I just threw it in one of those lil rear door cubbies and forgot about it. Happened upon the Mag-Lite placement thread on here and saw the perfect spot that is fairly hidden (who looks down anyways?) and practical to get at. Froze my butt off outside trying to bolt the panel back on. (stock screws rusted and I've never been a big fan of just screwing/self-tapping something down and calling it good unless there is absolutely NO WAY to bolt it.) Got er done! Heres a half-way and a final pic!
110934[/ATTACH]"]

110936[/ATTACH]"]

Attachments

• 101_0360_zps598bcdb9.jpg
    101_0360_zps598bcdb9.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 101_0370_zpsb96f51ee.jpg
    101_0370_zpsb96f51ee.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 1

Sumbitch

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Whilst working on my 12 gauge LED interior lights, I realized my CB radio was rather dull and uninteresting. Sitting there in the old CD player cubby, a rather nice fit if I might add. So, I dug around in our Rubbermaid tub of empty brass and found me some .44 Mag casings that just fit over my Volume, Squelch, and RF Gain. And a high-brass 12g shell with the plastic cut off at the top of the brass. Haven't glued anything yet because I'm waiting to drill out the plastic buffer at the base of the brass so the 12g shell will fit on the channel tuner completely. Prior to taking a fairly strong liking to trucks (before I turned 16), I would educate myself on firearms in my spare time. I'm still the guy any of my friends come to when they got a gun lined up for them or if they inherited something. So I'm combining both passions of mine, gun stuff and my truck! Surely there is no better combination on Earth.
111279[/ATTACH]"]

Attachments

• 101_0380_zps48a75030.jpg
    101_0380_zps48a75030.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 1