Must exhaust all options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94burb

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
There seems to be quite a few ways to go when replacing a stock exhaust system. Is it best to have a single or dual if you want to stay emission compliantish? I always figured dual would give you more performance, but I just read a thread where it says that you get better performance from a single. What are your guy's thoughts?

Bearcat91

CRASH
Reaction score
ima single exhaust guy tbh...not sure on the performance differences

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
It's about the mass an exhaust can move efficiently and the requirements of the engine it's supporting.

Too big on a NA engine and you loose flow velocity and scavenging effect. To small and you run into restriction.

Single or dual is really irrelevant if the system is sized and designed properly.

A proper single to support the same engine will have a larger diameter than a dual system.

Single systems are better for emissions as the converter gets up to temp and stays the longer. Dual systems can also do just as well if properly designed.

If the emissions laws state you need to be Oem and your vehicle only came with a single it would likely be easier to get by a "sticky" inspector with a single. If the vehicle was available with both then no problems. If a dual on a single has a CARB sticker or the like then no problem.

There's lots of opinions on single vs dual, but ultimately it comes down to personal choice. Performance is a moot agreement because each can be made to perform equally well.

There'll be lots of argument on that point also......:rofl:

Cadon69

GMT400 "Like a Rock"
Reaction score
It's about the mass an exhaust can move efficiently and the requirements of the engine it's supporting.

Too big on a NA engine and you loose flow velocity and scavenging effect. To small and you run into restriction.

Single or dual is really irrelevant if the system is sized and designed properly.

A proper single to support the same engine will have a larger diameter than a dual system.

Single systems are better for emissions as the converter gets up to temp and stays the longer. Dual systems can also do just as well if properly designed.

If the emissions laws state you need to be Oem and your vehicle only came with a single it would likely be easier to get by a "sticky" inspector with a single. If the vehicle was available with both then no problems. If a dual on a single has a CARB sticker or the like then no problem.

There's lots of opinions on single vs dual, but ultimately it comes down to personal choice. Performance is a moot agreement because each can be made to perform equally well.

There'll be lots of argument on that point also......:rofl:

Yeah what he said LOL! I also prefer single though myself.