Muffler Opinions Wanted!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1997k1500Calvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know this a highly debated topic. Back pressure on gas engines. Do you have any links to any sources proving less back pressure is better? My personal experience is that I lost a bit of power and mileage when going from a chambered muffler to true dual straights.
That's because you need back pressure, is your motor tbi or vortec, 2.25 is good pipe for tbi 2.5 its biggest you wanna use on vortec

Live action!!

Colorado2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I personally don't have any sources, just what I've heard around the web's, particularly Brian Harris over at TBIchips.com, who done tons of tbi stuff. It makes sense, the less restrictions the better, but no restrictions means no exhaust scavenging and lower exhaust velocity, so you want to find that balance between the two. That's my opinion, but I think it comes down to whatever you prefer to do for your truck and what kind of sound you want.

Chris6060

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If an exhaust TRULY effected your HP enough to really matter, they'd be putting full exhaust systems on motors while they dyno-test them.

Just putting an exhaust on your truck, vs open headers, loses HP.

The only way you're going to gain HP from one true-dual to another true-dual is if you're running a 400HP motor and 2.25" pipe. Then you'd benefit (greatly) from going to dual 3" pipe.

Stock TBI? I wouldn't go over 2.5".

You must be registered for see images attach

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
I had no idea that back pressure affected torque, so now that's definitely something I've got to consider. I'm really liking the sounds of Cherry bomb extremes, and they're not a straight through muffler, so they would be able to give me some back pressure.

I can carry on a conversation in my blazer with the windows down. I'm running a single in, dual out cherry bomb extreme with jba shortie headers and no cat on my zr2 blazer. It's a 4.3 through.

https://youtu.be/__2CpfynQTQ

It's nowhere near too loud.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This is corect, if you do any research on exhaust systems, it will back this statement up. As my orgnal post stated, an X pipe will do a better jod than a H pipe will. Also the more restrictions you remove from the exhaust system, the better it is for performance. An engine is an air compressor after all in a sense, the more air and fuel you put into it, that can flow out at an unrestricted rate, the more power it will make. That is just a fact. If you look at a quarter mile race car, there are no restristions on the exhust system what so ever. I am not saying to run open headers, but the exhaust system needs to let out as much air as what is being put into the engine. As the exhaust passes through one side of the X pipe, it has a vacuum effect on the other side, and the same thing happens for the other side when the engine exhaust switches sides, and this is why an X pipe works better.
Okay, I see some misinformation in this thread so I'll throw out my advice. X-pipes are better than H-pipes as they scavenge and balance dual exhaust systems more efficiently, but H-pipes are easier and cheaper to add to the exhaust system. Back pressure is bad! The only reason you would only lose torque is if you used a too large diameter pipe and lost exhaust velocity. 2.5 is a good size for a small block with dual pipes, the less restriction and back pressure you have, the better. Also, I want to add that most modern aftermarket "performance" mufflers flow well enough to not rob you of any noticeable power, but they will have varying loudness and tones. Muffler length can also play a factor. A straight-thru muffler will usually sound raspier and louder, while a chambered muffler usually sounds "deeper" and can vary widely in loudness. A Flowmaster super 10 style chambered muffler will probably be the loudest chambered one you can get.

Last edited: