Muffler Opinions Wanted!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Champ

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I currently have a stock 2.5 inch exhaust on my truck. I have cut out the cat, and thrown on a Cherry Bomb glass pack in place of the original muffler. All in all, it sounds pretty good, but I think I'm going to do a true dual setup with an H pipe. I'm going to keep the stock manifolds, but I'm up in the air about what mufflers to use. I'm looking for something that will be noticeable when you stomp on it, and won't drone too badly. I'm leaning towards Flowmaster super 10s, but I'd be interested to see other people's setups and hear some different opinions.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
An X pipe works a lot better than a H pipe. If you just want sound, then there is nothing wrong with Flow master, but if it is performance you are looking for, then a free flowing muffler is much better. Flow masters are restrictive, because they use baffels to redirect sound. A muffler like Magna flow or even your old school glass packs let the exhaust flow straight through with no restriction.

1997k1500Calvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
An X pipe works a lot better than a H pipe. If you just want sound, then there is nothing wrong with Flow master, but if it is performance you are looking for, then a free flowing muffler is much better. Flow masters are restrictive, because they use baffels to redirect sound. A muffler like Magna flow or even your old school glass packs let the exhaust flow straight through with no restriction.
Performance wise h pipe is proven better on older style v8s vs xpipes .. Flow master would be a great option or dynomax not enough back pressure isn't good, less torque when it has too much flow

Live action!!

Champ

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had no idea that back pressure affected torque, so now that's definitely something I've got to consider. I'm really liking the sounds of Cherry bomb extremes, and they're not a straight through muffler, so they would be able to give me some back pressure.

Colorado2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay, I see some misinformation in this thread so I'll throw out my advice. X-pipes are better than H-pipes as they scavenge and balance dual exhaust systems more efficiently, but H-pipes are easier and cheaper to add to the exhaust system. Back pressure is bad! The only reason you would only lose torque is if you used a too large diameter pipe and lost exhaust velocity. 2.5 is a good size for a small block with dual pipes, the less restriction and back pressure you have, the better. Also, I want to add that most modern aftermarket "performance" mufflers flow well enough to not rob you of any noticeable power, but they will have varying loudness and tones. Muffler length can also play a factor. A straight-thru muffler will usually sound raspier and louder, while a chambered muffler usually sounds "deeper" and can vary widely in loudness. A Flowmaster super 10 style chambered muffler will probably be the loudest chambered one you can get.

Last edited:

Champ

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, 2.5 inch pipes were what I was planning on using, so I guess I've got a good start. I'm really trying to get better performance over sound, but I'd still like to be able to have a conversation with whoever is sitting next to me.

Colorado2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah which is understandable, I'd go with a nice chambered muffler, like a super 44 or 40, I think those are supposed to perform well and be somewhat loud but not deafening. I like really loud exhaust, so you might want other opinions for something quieter.

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
Okay, I see some misinformation in this thread so I'll throw out my advice. X-pipes are better than H-pipes as they scavenge and balance dual exhaust systems more efficiently, but H-pipes are easier and cheaper to add to the exhaust system. Back pressure is bad! The only reason you would only lose torque is if you used a too large diameter pipe and lost exhaust velocity. 2.5 is a good size for a small block with dual pipes, the less restriction and back pressure you have, the better. Also, I want to add that most modern aftermarket "performance" mufflers flow well enough to not rob you of any noticeable power, but they will have varying loudness and tones. Muffler length can also play a factor. A straight-thru muffler will usually sound raspier and louder, while a chambered muffler usually sounds "deeper" and can vary widely in loudness. A Flowmaster super 10 style chambered muffler will probably be the loudest chambered one you can get.
I know this a highly debated topic. Back pressure on gas engines. Do you have any links to any sources proving less back pressure is better? My personal experience is that I lost a bit of power and mileage when going from a chambered muffler to true dual straights.