Muffler choice débâcle!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any advantages to going with dual mufflers over a single? I ask because I'm considering the jones max flow dual in dual out 3" for my vortec 454

aleebee156

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Where in the system does the H-pipe go? I always thought running true duals meant nothing connected from either side... Can I get an explanation of the H-pipe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
An H pipe is supposed to balance the exhaust pulses. It is a length of pipe welded perpendicularly to connect the pipes coming off each bank of cylinders. They"re usually located nearer to the engine, under the transmission or just downstream from it. It is called an H pipe because if you were looking up at the pipes from under the truck it makes an H, in the same manner that an X pipe makes an X.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
jorge6.5, the dual muffler setup will muffle better. dynomax and magnaflow both make a muffler with an internal x-pipe. i prefer the sound of the dynomax in general, it doesn't have the glasspack raspiness sound like the magnaflow. just nice deep "tone". not just deep noise, but tone. a single 3" pipe like you have now will probably work better for the low end in general, and then you can just run 1 muffler and save a little coin.

the closer to the headers the better in regards to the h-pipe (or x-pipe). the h-pipe will produce more low end torque and sound deeper. the x-pipe will make more upper end horsepower and sound more sport car'ish.

aleebee156

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Interesting, good info. Yea it would have to be after the tranny on my truck unless something custom was made up.

Outlaw- are you saying that the daynomax and magnaflow mufflers have an internal X-pipe meaning you wouldn't want an external one welded in pre-muffler? So it depends on the muffler you run?

I had my exhaust I wanted all dialed in, true duals, two cats two mufflers, but now you got me thinking about working in an H-pipe...

Ps I'm in CA and smog matters for me

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
Both Dynomax and Magnaflow have a specific muffler with an internal x-pipe. Using one of these would mean you wouldn't need a crossover before the muffler. They are very handy when you don't have the space.

aleebee156

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That would probly mean I needed to run a single muffler dual in dual out correct? Instead of two singles...

Rusty Nail

Artificial membership inflator
Reaction score
Dynomax super turbo is a good muffler. Gonna Run one to replace my summit brand, chambered p.o.s.
One tailpipe.
I disagree with consensus regarding two mufflers vs. one l. I have made the opposite decision. I run two mufflers on my street legal DRAG CAR, but it's too loud for a daily driver IMO.
It also has long tubes...run shorties for the street, you'll move your torque peak TOO HIGH to be useful - light to light -running longs. H pipe goes as close to the collectors as possible (behind transmission).

There is otherwise a lot of BAD information in this thread. That's my OPINION.

Remember kids, bad taste is still taste.

Another muffler will increase volume a solid 8 db.

Last edited: