Motor options.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

19-Silverado-98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 98 chevy 1500 with the vortec 5.7. Truck is getting older now. And I've been looking into either rebuild or replacing it with a new crate engine. What do y'all suggest?

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It really depends on what you want. If you want to get the exact same performance, longevity, etc, then a new L31 crate motor would be the ticket. They'll run around $2000 from Summit or Jegs. If you're looking for more power, then another option with the same longevity (and warranty) of the factory replacement engine would be a HT383E crate engine, which is a GM factory produced stroker that is designed to work with the factory fuel injection system (provided you get a tune). Not a bad option at 5,000. If you decide to go LS or carb swap the options, and prices, are endless. Suffice to say you could have a low mileage 6.0L with some aftermarket goodies making more power than the HT383E for less money. Downside is a lot more work involved, and no warranty. And then, of course, you can rebuild your current motor in whatever configuration you want for however much you wish to spend. Sure, you can do a stock rebuild for less than $2000, but IMO you'll be hard pressed to do it with the quality, and get the warranty, found in the GM crate engines.

19-Silverado-98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I was thinking same motor size. To keep my gas mileage above 10. I don't have a race truck. Its about to get a set of 33s. And no bigger. I was just curious would it be better to rebuild my factory motor or get a crate engine and put a few parts in it. I would like a little more umph tho.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the HT383E would certainly help in umph department. Of course, a mild rebuild with an aftermarket cam, roller rockers, headers, and a tune may get you close to that power level for less money. I think you could get the same or better fuel economy with the 383, as the torque comes in sooner and stronger, and could help keep you out of the throttle (or put you deep in it :) ).

RyanR

BAD REPUTATION
Reaction score
Well I was thinking same motor size. To keep my gas mileage above 10. I don't have a race truck. Its about to get a set of 33s. And no bigger. I was just curious would it be better to rebuild my factory motor or get a crate engine and put a few parts in it. I would like a little more umph tho.

Most likely a stock to mild 5.3 or 6.0 will get better gas mileage than the stocker or 383 and have a heck of alot more power and potential.

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
Been asking myself this same question for years.

The setup I keep dreaming up would be a 5.3L LS.. mild cam, full exhaust, tuned, and of course it'd have to be mated to an NV4500.. :->

19-Silverado-98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I really don't want to go with a 5.3 or 6.0. More power and torque and a lot more potential to go faster. But like I've said it's not a race truck. It's a daily driver. And one day will have 33s. And 4.11 gears. I would also like to stay away from a carb motor. Which seems to be the way the 383 is set up for better performance. I like being able to go out when it's 40 degrees outside and turn the key and it starts right on up.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really don't want to go with a 5.3 or 6.0. More power and torque and a lot more potential to go faster. But like I've said it's not a race truck. It's a daily driver. And one day will have 33s. And 4.11 gears. I would also like to stay away from a carb motor. Which seems to be the way the 383 is set up for better performance. I like being able to go out when it's 40 degrees outside and turn the key and it starts right on up.

That's the thing, the HT383E motor is designed to have the factory L31 intake and fuel injection dropped on and bolted down. It's no different that putting an L31 crate motor in your truck, other than spending an additional 200 or so to get a tune so it will perform to its potential.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Everybody always says 5.3 or 6.0 which are great and all, but there's nothing wrong with a 5.7. Sounds like you're pretty much convinced you're gonna stay with it anyways, which leaves us with your budget: new motor would be best but more expensive, rebuild would be good, and cheaper.
I'd just do whatever I could afford...in my case, I'd be going to "Joe with the parts truck" down the road and pulling one for $100 and throwing it in there.

There's also the time factor, rebuild would obviously take longer to do unless you bought another motor, rebuilt it and got it ready to go, and then one weekend do the swaparoo. That's probably your most cost/time effective option IMO.

Good luck!

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
That's the thing, the HT383E motor is designed to have the factory L31 intake and fuel injection dropped on and bolted down. It's no different that putting an L31 crate motor in your truck, other than spending an additional 200 or so to get a tune so it will perform to its potential.

If I had any money, that's what I would do...easy, awesome, but expensive.