Motor build ideas thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok i have been working on building a new motor (for the 97) i have two choices of either a 400 gen1 block or a 350 out of a tbi with the 1 piece rear still in good running shape. the 400 is just a block nothing more. i was thinking i would go with the 350 and use 6 inch h beam rods and some flat top valve relief pistons, possibly a new crank. run a big comp hydralic roller cam with AFR heads and a marine intake. not sure on very many specs yet, this is just part of my home work! i would like to stay at 350 or maybe go .030 over. keep the same stroke. heads and cam idk about yet. it seems like kind of a waste to use that bottom end combo to me with the stock crank, so if anyone thinks it is also i would prob go with the 400 block. since the 400 needs everything i had considered the 434 eagle rotating assembly with the H-beam rods and all. but i am thinking the 350 right now because it would be way cheaper. any thoughts?

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd vote for the 400, if the block is usable, you would love the torque, I currently own a vehicle with 400 sbc!

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yes the block is in 100% perfect shape, its been magna fluxed. my good friend owns it as of now and is asking 200 buck for it. id love to have it too with the eagle fully balanced assembly but its gona cost a couple bucks lol. what would you do as far as bore size? i needs to be bored over at least a little bit to clean it up but the nice eagle kits are the same price weather i go 409 or 434. i would love to have big block displacement from a small block but are there any down sides? i plan on a different intake so im pretty sure ill beable to cover the fuel that it will need. but id like to keep it vortec, maybe not vortec heads but afr vortec and full roller with fuel injection.

jcro61

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
200 bucks is a good deal if its known to be rebuildable. you can grab 400 motors around here for like 2-400 but they are complete and condition is unknown.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well like i said this one has been all tore apart and checked out a fluxed. but the old assembly was toast so that kind of the downside is having to start all new with everything

jcro61

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well atleast you know what you got is good. When you buy something used like that off Craigslist or out of the want ads you never know whats gonna be inside. If it were me I would do the 400. A mild 400 is still gonna be a torque monster and get decent mileage. it would be a good choice for a truck.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
sorry man that one is staying in the friend family. i decided to go with the 350 to do a 383. my friends deal was if i build the 400 to its full potential with the best parts, i could have it for 200. but since i dont want to spend that much money on it he said he would end up building it up.