Mode Door

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hyperti2

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys so my 98 1500 is having some trouble with selecting where the heat and AC come out. I can switch back and forth from heat to AC no problem but when i try and change where it comes out it will only go full blast on defrost and floor i cannot get it to come out the front vents. I don't know if this is an actuator problem but i noticed this door is out of its place and has fallen down. Its the one that is higher up on the dash. I took some pictures too try and make it clearer. I don't know if the door that is broken is the mode door or the door that controls re-circulation.

You must be registered for see images attach

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The mode door actuator is on the driver side near the gas pedal and the easiest to get to. The temperature door actuator is in the center kind of behind the ashtray. Going by memory, the recirculation door motor is behind the blower almost at the firewall. Others may know exactly.

hiredgun8

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mode door. When you get it out I'll bet the rubber around the edge is gone. If it is gone it'll never stay in place.

Hyperti2

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just pulled the floor vent and the bottom cover on the right so I could get to it.
I was thinking that i took the cover off but i couldnt get my arm by the door connected to the actuator. Ill have to see if i can get that one out. Its not the door right at the floor its the one way above it.

hiredgun8

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I replaced both at the same time. Like I said if you pull the bottom cover off your air box....you'll have more room to work.

wildncrazyguy

Reaction score
Don't want to hijack this thread, but a couple of things. 1. Did the OP ever figure out your issue and resolve? and 2. I think I may have the same issue happening on a 1998 Suburban that the OP has. I may need some help to figure this thing out from some more experienced folks here. Should I start my own thread on my issue or keep this thread going? I would like to ask more specific questions to the OP to determine if the issue is the same or just have similarities. Hopefully OP is still around listening. Thanks.