Mobil 1 Annual protection... true or false?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Diego0123005

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Saw an ad for mobil 1 oil annual protection. I probably will never use this. I will just stick to my 3000 mile interval. Better safe than sorry

Black_cirrus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My wife's dad started running mobile1 full synthetic in the the 94 5.7 we have its been like that for over 70k and 7-8 years and in the middle of that I did head gaskets. Gunk on the back of the valves but the rockers and oiled parts were, and as far as I can tell from the filler cap, still are great. I know it went west coast- east coast and back over 8k mi each oil change at least 4 times. And I change it once a year now thats under 3k mi last year. My old car has over 240k and I changed the regular oil every 4k and it has never had an oiling issue.

Trenton Sauer

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use conventional oil In my 91 305 with lucas oil treatment and it works great. Im curious what everyone uses.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm sure it's a legitimate claim, however I see no reason to do it, at least for my purposes.

My trucks both get oil changes every 3500 miles, Pennzoil 5W-30 conventional. Delco filters. No additives, no weirdness. 150K on both and no issues, BlackStone Labs oil analysis last year looked better than average on both. They've been in the family since brand new, always gotten the same treatment.

laidbackbigun

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't trust it but I don't trust alot of claims anymore. BMW was telling owners of their cars that their oil change intervals were 15k miles. Mercedes at one point was selling the 10k miles oil change. So yeah if a person was to only drive 10k to 15k a year in those vehicles i assume that it would be annual protection. casue they both were using Mobil 1 from the factory.

kwslvdo96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I use Mobil 1 10w30 full synthetic in my truck the original owner used Mobil 1 so I just stuck with it never had any issues but then again my truck only has 69K original miles so only time will tell. I did have all the rest of my driveline swapped to Amsoil transmission, front and rear diffs, and the transfer case. Had all that done at like 51k miles so im good for long time.

kwslvdo96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As far as changing intervals I stick to every 5k miles and even then the oil doesn't look that bad but im not pushing it any further I couldn't imagine going 15K miles on a oil change but im sure theres plenty of people out there that are doing it.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
When I had the oil analysis done on my trucks, BlackStone Labs told me I could easily go 500-1000 miles farther than I usually do (3500 miles) with no ill effects or increased wear. They said my 3500 mile old conventional Pennzoil 5W-30 had quite a bit of life left in it.

Now I'm not going to do that because I'm stubborn as hell, but I thought that information was interesting coming from someone who knows far more about oil than I do. I strongly recommend BlackStone Labs if anyone's ever in the market for an oil analysis. Might help you solve a problem you didn't know you had.

kwslvdo96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
df2x4 I would be interested to know what my oil analysis would be like at my 5K mile oil change intervals. How does it work do they send me a kit and I just put a sample of my oil when I drain it for the next oil change and send it in?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
df2x4 I would be interested to know what my oil analysis would be like at my 5K mile oil change intervals. How does it work do they send me a kit and I just put a sample of my oil when I drain it for the next oil change and send it in?

Yup, that's exactly how it works. You just catch some oil in the middle of the stream, you don't want the first or last bit that comes out.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com