MOAR Audio..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Really? Wow! Never knew or heard that before! Good to know!

While not the last word on it, it is a good "rule of thumb".

I look at an amp's ratings and if the fuse doesn't match i het suspicious about the specs.

Only real way to know is to "bench it"....

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
Yeah bench test is really the only way to know. But basic ohms law says amperage multiplied by voltage is watts. You can't get 1800 watts from a chinese Boss amplifier with a 40 amp fuse. :lol: I have found the bench tests are pretty close to the math.

Another tip, I would avoid using oval speakers like 4x10, 4x6, and 6x9. I think round is the way to go.

I wish I had great white's fiber glass skills, I'd put these leftover 12" woofers I have in a custom center console. :D

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Agreed! Speakers should be round!
But sometimes you have to work within the confines of what the factory provided for speaker placement & sizes. That is unless you are ready, & have the tech skills, to start modifying.
Fiberglassing is not all that hard. It can be intensive with the fumes, though. Some people find that hard to be around. I can deal with it in small doses such as speaker boxes & other small home projects. But I've tried working around it in large doses, such as boat building (Kayaks to Yachts) & it is just too overpowering. Makes my head spin!

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
.... I've tried working around it in large doses, such as boat building (Kayaks to Yachts) & it is just too overpowering. Makes my head spin!

Umm, you're not supposed to breath the fumes. Very bad. Should be wearing PPE when working with heavy aeromatic polyester resins.

As to round or oval drivers being better; that's an argument that has raged for years and years.

My .02:

It makes no real difference in an automotive application.

The differences in construction, manufacturers and materials makes any comparison pointless. Any difference in sound is going to be so miniscule you'll need a wave analyzer to see it, your ears definitely won't hear it.

Competition rigs don't use ovals, but that's competition and driven more by the fact that there aren't any high end manufacturers that build quality ovals. So it comes down to construction and materials again.

I prefer rounds myself, but for regular folks I say get what fits and have fun.

:)

Last edited:

77Concours

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you're not a fan of drilling holes in non-factory locations like I am, here's my setup.

Headunit: Alpine 124-SXM (it came with an XM tuner) I purchased this because I wanted to add XM (obviously haha)
Speakers: Kicker KS46's in the rear and Kicker KS65.2's (component set) for the front doors
Subwoofers: 2 Kicker 12" CVX's (most expensive part of my system @ $330 a sub)
Amplifier: Cerwin Vega 800 watt Stealth class D (works perfect)
Amplifier Wiring: Lightning Audio 4 gauge (had a ton of store credit @ Pep Boys so it was FREE)

Including installation by Best Buy I have about $2,000 in my stereo. I can have it rattle rear and sideview mirrors if I want for rap or tune my settings for country. I also have a front firing box and I HIGHLY reccommend getting speaker grills regardless of what "firing" type of box yours is just to protect your investment.

You must be registered for see images attach