Mines too long, need a surgery to make it shorter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok, I just snapped these pics for you of my trucks frame, where the front hanger bracket is mounted, and just in front of that. Keep in mind that my truck is a short wheel base, but an extended cab. So, the bed will be the same as an gmt400 short bed (6.5 feet) but the frame is longer under the cab. Still, this should give you some reference as to where, and how you need to shorten the frame. You will want to do this where the frame has no bends. This may mean, you will need to remove the cab also, IDK. If you need more pics, just let me know.

Attachments

• 20220202_102721.jpg
    20220202_102721.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 20220202_102714.jpg
    20220202_102714.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 16

kwyjibo

Reaction score
Ok, I just snapped these pics for you of my trucks frame, where the front hanger bracket is mounted, and just in front of that. Keep in mind that my truck is a short wheel base, but an extended cab. So, the bed will be the same as an gmt400 short bed (6.5 feet) but the frame is longer under the cab. Still, this should give you some reference as to where, and how you need to shorten the frame. You will want to do this where the frame has no bends. This may mean, you will need to remove the cab also, IDK. If you need more pics, just let me know.
Cool, thank you. I'll compare to my long bed when I get home

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe @spf1268 can help. He's doing a frame swap to get from long bed to short. IIRC he said the frame tapers too much to cut out 10" and reweld. The front hanger won't be in line with the rear, or something like that ;)

kwyjibo

Reaction score
Maybe @spf1268 can help. He's doing a frame swap to get from long bed to short. IIRC he said the frame tapers too much to cut out 10" and reweld. The front hanger won't be in line with the rear, or something like that ;)
I gotta take of the bed, but looks possible