Mines too long, need a surgery to make it shorter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kwyjibo

Reaction score
New guy here, hello everybody! For whatever reason I've never bought an obs, even though I think its one of the best looking trucks made. I just bought my first one, a 1994 single cab long bed. Is there an acronym for that, sclb? I paid the ridiculously high price of $750 for this thing. But, the body is almost perfect. Anyways, I am researching what's involved in converting an obs long bed into a short bed, and I'm amazed how little info there is out there. My overall goal for the truck is a redneck burnout machine: something fairly reasonably priced, but way over powered and doesn't like to stay in a straight line. It's more fun when your car/truck tries to kill you for being stupid I think.

My point: I have searched this forum and online, but can't find some answers to convert to a short bed. First series of questions: What front leaf spring hanger do I use? The frame turns up right in front of the factory location on the long bed. If I simply cut the rivets and move the original mount forward 14" the mount will be several inches lower compared to ground level and the rear of the truck will be several inches higher. Do I need to buy short bed front mounts/hangers? Do the calvert front mounts solve the issue? Do I use the original mounts, but bolt them on the upper edge of the frame rail instead of the lower edge?

Next questions: Has anyone here actually cut their own bedsides to shorten them? Does anyone have the measurements that show the difference in length of the bedside taking into account the wheel well and fuel door location? Is the length different by 14" in front of the wheel well, and 4" shorter after the wheel well?

I want to fabricate more items compared to buying them. Call me cheap, but the fab work is what I enjoy. I'd rather cut my own bed apart and shorten the sheet metal than simply buy new stampings or a used bed. I deal with the public everyday, so spending hours grinding, welding, cursing, swearing, throwing stuff, re-grinding, and rewelding is rewarding to me.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There are a bunch of videos about this on YouTube. Here is one on an OBS,,,,400
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

tpass

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The difference is between the back of the cab and the axle, so you would section it foward of the real axle, and no I don't think the frame fabrication it would be hard at all.

Then you would need a shorter driveshaft as well. Bed work would he the hardest part for me, but I imagine slicing off the front and moving it backwards wouldn't be too bad of a job.
I say do it

NEVERMIND, lol after watching that video... I was wayyyyy off

I am was toying with the idea shortening my '01 3500HD to long bed length.. would be fun to have a 10 lug dually pickup. (truck on the right)
You must be registered for see images attach

kwyjibo

Reaction score
please don’t do what the guy in that video does. Omg, that’s some serious hackery. Don’t get me wrong, I use my plasma for more than I should, but, those gaps he filled with weld are atrocious.
I still can’t find anyone that shows the proper process online. All I find are nbs or c10.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
please don’t do what the guy in that video does. Omg, that’s some serious hackery. Don’t get me wrong, I use my plasma for more than I should, but, those gaps he filled with weld are atrocious.
I still can’t find anyone that shows the proper process online. All I find are nbs or c10.
I didn't watch the video. I just posted it as a reference more than anything else. I agree with not doing a hack job. I never do half a$$ work. If it worth doing, it's worth doing rite. I have gotten into arguments with our shop foreman about that several times. I refuse to do crappy work.

Dnytro

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If u want pretty close to exact short bed length, but a used bed and focus all the grinding and welding on the frame, use the bed as reference. Otherwise shorten the frame to your liking, do a 3 link or 4 link (so u can weld your mounts wherever u want) and then shorten the bed to match.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I watched an episode of trucks on TV one day, and they did this mod. Of course, it was a nice clean job. They marked out about a 10 inch toung, removed the nessary metal to make the frame shorter. So there was a lap joint of 10 inches. This gave a large area to weld.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here is the cut they made.