Mild Cam Options for Vortec 5.7?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 1998 K1500 with a 5.7/4l60e, lifted on 37s and 4.88 gears.

The truck needs a new cam anyway due to some stupidity on my part. I'm leaning towards staying stock for simplicity sake but I'm open to suggestions for something that can meet my needs. The truck is my DD, occasional towing and 4 wheeling. I don't have any performance goals in mind like racing, just wondering if can upgrade while I have the chance.

That being said, the truck still needs to pass CA smog (on a stock tune) for now until I move to a free state, still run 87 octane and have strong low end torque for getting those big tires rolling. I would also need something drop-in that won't require any other work. I'm trying to keep it simple, otherwise I can stay stock.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Call your favourite cam manufacturer and ask them what they recommend. I'm sure they all have a computer "friendly" one they will be willing to sell you.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^^^This AND with a CARB EO #
CARB EO# is a waste on a cam. Keep the cam very mild and nobody is the wiser anyway.

With a stock engine and the cams available now, the Summit 8800 looks like a solid choice. It is a modern version of the old 204/214 RV cam I used in numerous small blocks over the years in trucks, SUVs and Vans. The flat tappet cam of the same specs ran fine on the stock tuning in TBI engines. The TBIs are far more picky than the Vortecs because they do not use a MAF sensor.

Illbedipped

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, how long does a vehicle have to meet the insane Caifornication smog requirements? I moved away from CA in 1981 due to lack of legal alcoholic beverages for my 20 year old self (while serving in the military). Here in SC, we have no emissions test but you can get ticketed for obvious major oil burning or rolling coal.

Shane B

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow, how long does a vehicle have to meet the insane Caifornication smog requirements? I moved away from CA in 1981 due to lack of legal alcoholic beverages for my 20 year old self (while serving in the military). Here in SC, we have no emissions test but you can get ticketed for obvious major oil burning or rolling coal.
Commiefornia smog is 75 and older is exempt. I know there are certain zip codes in Southern Ca that are smog exempt, kinda wierd. My 94 has no cat converter and I used to have to pay someone under the table to pass it, usually ended up being 300 bucks. Thank God I left that ********.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm sorta in the same boat as you. Gonna rebuild the extra motor I have for my Yukon, current motor has a burnt valve or stem that slipped, allowing compression to be next to nothing in that cylinder till RPM's rise. I'd rather have a new engine anyways over one I don't know much about, or seems to have lack of maintenance done to it. But anyways, was on Comp's site, went to Summit, and Youtube to listen to some cams. One vid that came up was some guy that used a Mellings cam 22129, and made some pretty good numbers with it. Was a carb'd motor, but was mild enough that can be used with EFI. Says it was like 1 or 2 above a stock cam. Smooth idle, feet of vacuum, etc. Supposedly 300+ horse n 400+ torque.

1990Z71Swede

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've sorta settled for a comp 08-300-8, but I have a non Vortec TBI 350. Reason for my choice is the good exhaust flow on TBI heads needs less of a dual pattern cam, also this cam hopefully makes slightly more power than an lt4 (not the lt4 "hotcam") cam without loosing much if any low RPM torque, with no other downsides other than being harder on the valvetrain, and FYI on Vortecs .480 exh lift may be a bit much on stock heads.

All theoretical so far of course and also based on a couple of assumptions :cool: so IDK...

Last edited: