Meet Uncle Glen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UncleGlen

Reaction score
Howdy Fans!

"Uncle Glen" is my 1990 K1500. It's a 5 speed with the 350 in it. It was named after and old family friend whom I bet would lok right at place behind the wheel. In the 70's and 80's he always had utilitarian and cool rigs. While it is not very much to look at, with rust in the usual places, and peeling clear coat etc... it is low mileage 124,000 at time of purchase, and appears in pretty good shape. I have had it since December. I bought it from a good friend who only had it for his two big dogs, which only ever rode in the covered bed. He sold it to me because hife wife wanted an automatic for the dog truck, so she could also take the dogs to the farm whenever.

This is my daily driver, after being a one vehicle household for over a year. We did this to avoid a second car payment when my old vehicle was pronounced dead. I bought this truck just a few months before my wife paid off her van, and it was great timing. It has encouraged us to NOT go the route of another car payment just because we "need" a new car. Now we have two running vehicles, no car Payments and feel like we can afford to do upkeep and maintenance on vehicles for the first time in a long time. Especially given the reasonable simplicity of old ish vehicles.

That said, I am NOT car smart or mechanically inclined and have mad respect for the folks who are. I joined GMT400 to learn what I can as I maintain and repair to the best of my abilities. So far my wife and I in the past few weeks have diagnosed and repaired a handful of small and not so small issues...

hydraulic portion of manual trans all replaced (master, slave, new line,) 4WD actuator replaced (first time 4wd has worked since owning,) HVAC blower motor replaced and condenser and changer cleaned, front light switch replaced and instrument bezel "repaired.) Silly little things include cigarette lighter now working and cup holders reinstalled. Fancy I know. We also put some new tires and a bigger, better battery. Most recently I diagnosed and cleared a code in the braking system.

While these little things don't seem like much... a few points. First, doing these repairs with my wife has actually been *gasp* fun and rewarding. Second, I would never have afforded the shop time for the clutch repairs which essentially had it INOP for a week. Third, I am gaining confidence and familiarity with the manual, the interwebs (including GMT400) and most importantly my truck!

If you've read this far... braking and steering are on the project list to do by spring. feel free to suggest important posts to read on the way to those tasks.

Thanks.
Ryan

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, from Houston, Texas.
Being able to work on your own vehicle is not just financially sensible, but very rewarding in other ways too. I've recently fixed a couple of things on my crew cab, that didn't take long, but having the skills and tools to do the job, and getting it done, brings a sense of accomplishment that is worth a great deal!