Matt's 1992 "Blizzard" K2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I'm glad you brought it back to life after the tree so quick!

and a question for you, what long tubes did you buy and how was the install? did you have to do any mods to make them fit? I'm in the market for some and I've heard mixed reviews with all of the major brands.

NotARealK2500

This'll be my last GMT400, I swear!
Reaction score
I like your truck. To bad about the tree. I would think homeowners insurance would cover the damage.
Thanks! It's a definite work in progress.

It would have, but our neighbors literally moved in the week before it happened and I didn't want to make a bad first impression even talking to them about it lol. I just ate the bill and counted my blessings for it not hitting my cruiser instead!

I'm glad you brought it back to life after the tree so quick!

and a question for you, what long tubes did you buy and how was the install? did you have to do any mods to make them fit? I'm in the market for some and I've heard mixed reviews with all of the major brands.
I actually bought mid-tubes on accident because I wasn't paying attention they looked like shorties, since I was going after more low end torque to help make up for the bigger tires :doh2:

The brand they were advertised as were "CTS" through one of our parts catalogues at work, but when they ordered in, it included installation instructions from "Speed Daddy" which seems to be el cheapo eBay headers from what I can tell. Either way, I actually like them a lot - it required 0 modifications (cleared the front driveline by about a half inch), but required a bit more labor in bending a downpipe for the driver's side to go into, but they sound great, especially around 1800-2100 RPM they roar... that being said, I also don't have a muffler so... :hmm:

Either way with whatever brand you end up going with, learn from me and throw out whatever gaskets your headers come with (they're going to be garbage quality) and get the nice copper gaskets at your local parts place so you don't end up doing the header/collector gasket job twice/three times like I did!

Cheap v.s. copper:
You must be registered for see images attach

NotARealK2500

Reaction score
Quick update: Thinking about taking the body lift off, then cranking up the front end to level and trimming fenders/valance to accommodate the 285s. I really don't like how much frame I'm showing, and I feel like it takes a lot away from the appearance.

Found a junked 89 K3500 in a salvage yard. Saved the quad sealed-beam headlights, which are going on tomorrow:

Found a donor GMC grille with billet insert for $60 as well, waiting for the paint to dry, then that's going on with the headlights!:

Last edited:

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Great looking truck.. if you do take the body lift off and are not saving it for another project and would like to sell it and the bumper brackets to ofcourse, keep me in mind if or when the time comes..

sent from what use to be a great country...

NotARealK2500

Reaction score
Will do! Getting some Energy Suspension replacements, and still need to source the factory size for the body mount bolts, then I'll PM you for sure; might be a couple weeks, though.

Tonight's project ended a bit short. Apparently I didn't do enough homework and need some sort of lower bumper bracket or something to fit the grille correctly.
And the billet grille I got didn't fit the aftermarket... one of the two is screwy and I don't know which. Going to check the junkyard tomorrow to see if I can find a stock white grille to compare.

Looks much cleaner though, imo

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes the lower "filler" piece is differant between the chevy and gmc grill..... I found that out when I switched to the gmc grill aswell..lol..

sent from what use to be a great country...

NotARealK2500

Reaction score
Thanks! Trying to make this thing as clean as possible before I drop it back down on the stock frame.

Ditching the GMC grille for now until I have more time to dedicate to the conversion.
Decided to just color-match the black grille and see how it looked. It's big, it's in-your-face, and it's ugly... and I kind of like it.

I'm 50/50 on painting the upper and lower middle sections black. Would appreciate any feedback.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
Regardless of dress attire, I'm never a fan of the insert/mesh/grille portion of the grille being anything but black, or a polished/chrome billet.

Just IMO. Reminds me of an egg crate, or something.