matte black and chrome to almond work truck rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hinrichs

Reaction score
First post on here, joined a few of the other forums but this seems like the best one so far for bagged trucks.

Name is Jim, this is my first bagged truck. Had 4 bagged vw/audi so I have some experience in bags and all the fun that goes along with them. Always do my own work when I can.

I had a thunderbird that I was going to bag, but turned into more of a project with just getting it running properly and needed more work and time than I originally thought and finally was able to sell it after about a year or so, then I could finally search for a new project. Browsed local cl and stumbled upon a bagged 91 c1500 for a good price.

Truck was spray bombed matte black, had "limited" 22s that all had "good tires" (they were all dry rotted and the wheels leaked a good amount). Interrior had a dash and 2 junk front seats and that was it. It ran well so I decided to take it home. It was supposed to come with a lot of extra parts but I never went to look at them. Did have a tonnea cover, but however it was mounted broke on the way home, and it almost fell off on the highway so my friend and I duct taped it on to get it home.

You must be registered for see images
truck 1 by minthinrich, on Flickr
truck 2 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Took of the cover, and drove it a few days to figure out what I wanted to do with it. Air setup was suppsed to have dual 480 compressors and a 10 gal tank....both of which were a lie. I knew what I was looking at when I bought it and thought I could live with it how it was, but that lasted about 5 days. I swapped in paddle valves to get rid of the bad wiring to the 4 3/8 valves but it was too slow. While pulling the bed we found the tiny compressors that were installed and not working well. Also the wiring was all twist and tape so I redid all of the management.

7 gal alum tank
dual 480 compressors
accuair vu4 manifold
7 switchbox
I need to redo the bag fittings however since they leak
truck 4 by minthinrich, on Flickr
truck 7 by minthinrich, on Flickr

notice the missing leader lines and filters.

Needed wheels asap so I could start driving it, couldn't figure out the right offsets and decided to go for a more plain work truck theme and ended up with 5 15x8 ralleys and 2 15x6.5 for $100 or something like that. Got tires the next day after a test fit of sorts

mock up by minthinrich, on Flickr

Same day we decided to do the $50 paint job which turned out decent. Also snagged a full interior other than carpet for $40 thanks to my friend.

paint 1 by minthinrich, on Flickr
paint 2 by minthinrich, on Flickr
paint 3 by minthinrich, on Flickr
paint 4 by minthinrich, on Flickr
truck 8 by minthinrich, on Flickr
truck 9 by minthinrich, on Flickr

hinrichs

Reaction score
Then I decided I wanted a pipe rack/ladder rack.

rack 1 by minthinrich, on Flickr
rack 2 by minthinrich, on Flickr
rack 3 by minthinrich, on Flickr
rack 4 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Was a pain to install alone, but I manage to work that way with almost everything. Also grabbed a set of trim rings. Wheels still hit the lower arms so I need to trim more.

4th 1 by minthinrich, on Flickr
4th 2 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Time for some shocks, which I didn't think I needed at first.

shock 3 by minthinrich, on Flickr
shock 2 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Ride is good with how its setup currently. I do need to work on the rears more. Its running stock shocks in the stock locations, 2 link rear but no pan hard bar yet. Bag over axle.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Looks like you're doing a great job turning around someone else's basket case! Keep the pics coming.

Richard

hinrichs

Reaction score
Just a pic of the rear currently, I really need a new bed to make my life easier since the po cut it to fit 24s...cooler is my battery box currently

bed 1 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Motor is a 350 I think, has an eddlebrock carb and dominator intake as well. Needs headers since one side is cracked and also the exhaust tucked up so I can get the front down more, its sitting the cross over laid out right now.

engine by minthinrich, on Flickr

And another of the interior with my current gauge setup that I keep forgetting to light up. Also one of the head unit. So nice to finally be able to listen to music for a change. Oh and the trucks a 5 speed.

interrior by minthinrich, on Flickr

hinrichs

Reaction score
Biggest issue so far with the truck was an odd brake pedal going to the floor basically then it would work. I thought it was maybe air in the line or a vac issue since a lot of hoses were not properly installed. Added a few hose clamps which didn't change a thing so I pulled the wheels while waiting for my friend to come over to lower his s10. Passenger side had about 1" of play in the rotor top to bottom and I could tell the bearing were starting to go due to whining so I went out and got bearings to do one side. Pull it all apart, and notice the bearings I got fit the spindle, but not the rotor. Long story short I had to get new drop spindles for HD brakes and the ones on the truck were for LT brakes. Outer bearing was the only one supporting the truck, and I am amazed it lasted however long it did. Both side fell apart. All good now however, and the brakes work perfectly now.

bearings by minthinrich, on Flickr

jfever71

94grounddweller
Reaction score
Love the work truck look too. Hey what size bags are you running?

And welcome. This is the best site for OBS chevys. There are about 8 regular guys on here and alot more other guys too.