Manual Swap Advice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Colorado2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay, so after lurking through the forum, I've decided to register to get some real help from y'all. I have a '89 C2500 with the original 700r4 and I'm looking to swapping to a manual, probably a NV4500 for the overdrive, but I might go SM465 for cost, Any thoughts?
In the future I'm looking at a SAS too, so should I go ahead and get a 4wd trans and transfer case, or just get a 2wd and swap it later? So, I'll need the trans (bell housing, etc.), flywheel, clutch, pedals, wire in all the switches, and then probably have the driveshaft shortened correct?
Would it be easier to buy a whole manual truck and just rob it or what? Sorry for the wall of text, but I could use some advice on this, Thanks.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Buying a manual truck is by far the easiest route. You will have EVERYTHING you need. IMO the pedals are the hardest part of swapping it.

Colorado2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay, that's what I was thinking as well, any ideas on what year(s) I'd be looking for? I know NV4500s are only on '92+ 2500/3500s but I hear they changed the transmission's ratios and other things as well at some point.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
There is a thread on here somewhere outlining the manual trans progression over the years. I would definitely go ahead and put a 4x4 trans and transfer under it. Otherwise you are gonna have to find another trans later down the road.

cviola2005

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would agree that the pedals is by far the hardest part. That is because the clutch pedal bracket was not installed on automatic trucks and you would have to pull the dash to properly install one. 92-93 NV4500s were made of one design. The 94+ NV 4500s were made to similar design as the Dodge NV4500s.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
So there isn't any place to mount a clutch pedal in an auto truck?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
So there isn't any place to mount a clutch pedal in an auto truck?

There is, but it's a major PITA to install it. It goes all...the...way...up...there, under the dash. Working under there just installing carpets is a pain. Anything that requires more work than that, & I'm calling in a little person to get in there!
The auto's brake pedal has to be cut down too. The spacing between the two pedals ends up being different than a factory installed set of pedals, though. Has to do with the way the pedal's arms are shaped. If you don't point it out, no-one but a die-hard GMT400 owner would see the dif.

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 92/93 NV4500's have the low 1st gear (6.34:1) like the SM465. The 94+ ones have a different 1st gear ratio (5.61:1), but 1st and reverse are synchronized. The early style can have the 1st and reverse synchros installed though. The NP241 transfer case behind both transmission are identical. Overall length difference is around 1/2".

I just swapped an NV4500 from a '92 K2500 RCLB with the SM465 in my '90 K2500 RCLB. I ended up buying the entire truck so I could have any parts I would need for the swap, but honestly all that was needed was the transmission itself. It also has 4.10 gears so I'm still deciding if I want to swap them for my 3.42's. You could run out here to Northern UT and take this '92 off my hands and get all the parts you would need! ;)

Last edited: