Manual Duramax

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

77Concours

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wish I would have gotten a chance to test drive one of those! I think I'd keep the Allison over the ZF-6 however. Just thought to myself today how bad I want a regular cab Duramax....

BadBowtie 98

BOWTIE TILL I DIE
Reaction score
From the research I've done that year is prone to leaky injectors which gets in the oil and messes up stuff

4thesporty

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's not that it messes things up, it's just the injectors need replaced about every 100K. Plan on it. It affected all LB7 engines (01-04.5). The problem is that the injectors are under the valve covers and it is not an easy task to do. I helped a buddy do his and it was a full evening of tear down (two piece valve covers suck!) and another full evening of put back together. We could probably do it in about 6 hours now.

While the ZF6 is arguably one of the best manual trannys of late, the chevy version did not include an oil cooler and was more prone to weakness than it's ford cousin (with the oil cooler).

That being said, I would gladly deal with those problems than suffer the 6.5 diesel if I woke up tomorrow and somebody swapped out engines and trannys on my truck overnight. :)