Manifold Port Question w/pictures

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vetteman61

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm in the process of changing the intake manifold on my 1999 Suburban, 5.7 4x2. It was leaking at the passenger rear. I expected to find a coolant port here, but when I removed the intake I noticed there's no hole here in the intake. Also, I noticed that the intake has two holes in the middle of the mounting surface, but the head has no provisions for these holes.

Is this how these parts are supposed to be made or has someone mismatched these parts at some point? The truck has never run hot. In the pictures below, you can see that on the very rear passenger side there is a coolant port but on the picture of the manifold, there is not and reverse for the holes in the middle of the intake.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

I hope to reinstall this early tomorrow and I certainly don't want to install this to find that it is incorrect and have to do this all over again.

Thanks in advance for the help,

Brandon

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All factory stuff there, no worries.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Vetteman61

Reaction score
Thanks, I'm glad to hear it. What was the purpose of casing those ports if they aren't used. My guess was multiple application uses.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SBC cylinder heads have always had coolant ports at the front and rear of the heads, though the rear ports are generally not present in the manifold. It could be that they wanted to be consistent with the old architecture, or that they wanted the option for a rear crossover should they decide to use it. The holes in the intake serve no purpose that I'm aware of, and could simply be to lighten the intake and make it cheaper by removing metal where it isn't needed. It could be something for locating the rough cast intake on a machining fixture at the production facility. Lots of possibilities.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Vetteman61

Reaction score
Since this rear area is so prone to leaking could one weld the hole shut in the head, rather than sealing it with the gasket and intake and solve the problem once and for all?

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
When properly "gasketed" and torqued, there are no leaking issues from an L31 intake manifold.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The heads are cast that way because SBC heads can be used on either side.

I believe there was another reason for the rear coolant ports but I can't remember.

Richard

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
all SBC have the rear ports. some do use them (87-95 TBI for example), i have seen old carb intakes that use them too.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
FYI - use of any other gasket but the Fel Pro MS98000T will result in coolant leak.