Major differences between Double Din and Flip out??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey buds so let's be honest we all know the double din is the "right" way to put a screen in your dash, but as most of you know I'm just looking for an upgrade over the stock radio (which anything would be great) and I sure as hell don't want to tie up alot of money in it.

I am just wondering if there are any main key features the double din's have that the typical flip out does not? I mean I know it all depends on the actual units but I just mean in general is there anything the double din's do that the flip outs don't? I would want to be able to download pics as a home screen so I don't have to stare at a huge blue screen with 89.9 written on it like my old pioneer 5700 flip out I had but that was before they were fitted with USB and SD card slots...I'm looking at a single din flip out, but it doesn't flip up it will sit just like a double din with the exception of being as clean looking flush install...Just checking on all of this though, curious to make sure they are all capable of the same things. Unfortunately, I can get the damn DD cheap too but it's getting it installed that will break the bank and so I'm sort of sticking to this single DIN and had this question so thanks fellerz

The one I am talking about includes USB/ SD Card slots/ bluetooth/ gps/ and all the other usual things and I believe it even includes another back up Cam too :D Just wanna make sure the DD's don't have something I didn't know about.

sp

TruckinAin4Sissies

L.E.D. Whisperer
Reaction score
Here's my old Kenwood Excelon deck I had in my Prelude, 1 din flip out that retracted back into the dash when off appearing as if there wasn't a stereo.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sorry about the quality. That's a 1.2MP camera phone

Although it's not video capable- it practically had 2 din worth of real estate.

Just an idea of a fold out.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I had the same thing but a pioneer 5700 but with a screen..The flip out I am talking about comes out and down so when it's fully out it's actually positioned just like a double din, except not flush with the dash. I'm mainly wondering if there is any features that makes a double din more desirable to everyone other than sitting flush in the dash and looking better?

For the price I can get this one I'm talking about there's no reason to get a regular head unit without a screen. After all I would fully use GPS and watch DVD's.

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i have a kenwood kvt 514, very happy with it didnt buy the gps unit to plug into it cause my phone has gps on it and just waiting to get bluetooth module for phone to link up to it

TruckinAin4Sissies

L.E.D. Whisperer
Reaction score
For me- visually, I prefer double din. For some reason single din flips look cheap (no offense).
C'mon now, nut up & fab that Bezel ;)

I'm doing my interior as we speak, when i'm done I'll be rocking dark interior WITH a double din. Parrot will be releasing a double din that's ANDROID based. HellzYeah! Then I could link my Droid to it. Stream songs, WIFI (i'm rooted) and GPS.

Toms94z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I plan on a single din flip out for mine, I like the double din durability and look better, but single din flip outs have bigger screens and are simpler to install, plus when they are stored with the screen retracted it's less likely that some one walking buy will look in your truck and notice you got a dvd player in it.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I plan on a single din flip out for mine, I like the double din durability and look better, but single din flip outs have bigger screens and are simpler to install, plus when they are stored with the screen retracted it's less likely that some one walking buy will look in your truck and notice you got a dvd player in it.

True plus the one I'm looking at the actual screen removes from the player itself. I could hide it under the cupholder in the console on mine I can pull it out and it's a super secret storage but anyway they'd be trying to steal it and it be right under their nose!

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For me- visually, I prefer double din. For some reason single din flips look cheap (no offense).
C'mon now, nut up & fab that Bezel ;)

I'm doing my interior as we speak, when i'm done I'll be rocking dark interior WITH a double din. Parrot will be releasing a double din that's ANDROID based. HellzYeah! Then I could link my Droid to it. Stream songs, WIFI (i'm rooted) and GPS.
Android Double Din?!? if it runs android it should be able to do just about anything! that would be sweet! Since Android is Linux based it would probably be technically possible to install a (almost) normal linux distribution on it and have a double din carputer :drool:

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is Parrot a name brand? I could not find them on ebay but that would be really cool to also get the android DD since I have a HTC Evo 4g...So tell me moar!!!

jb034

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dude i want a dd so badly but in reality..im not ready to hack my bezzle. I just found a guy on craigslist to trade me his power acoustiks ptid-7002nr for my single din pioneer. Its flip out and its even touch screen! I really like the looks of it and the reviews so its a good deal in my book. Look em up they even just came out with an 8" screen and it will run you a little less than 250