Maintenance Items...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hydengr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Folks,

Truck in sig below has 140,000 miles. I have a good friend (mechanic) visiting in a few weeks and we're going to go over and address a few items that I have not taken care of in the past. Truck is garage kept and in very good condition, runs very well. Here's what I have done in the last few years:

All drivetrain fluids replaced.
Coolant replaced.
Serpintine belt and idler pully recently replaced.
Plugs, cap, wires done at 100K
Intake manifold gasket

Here's what we are planning:

Replace soft brake lines w/ braided stainless (suggestions for source appreciated)
Brake fluid flush
Power steering fluid flush
Inspect all front end components, ball joints, etc.
Inspect brakes (pads/shoes have been replaced)
fuel filter (it has been replaced twice)

Let me know what I'm missing, thanks.

Mark

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
Clean the throttle body and egr. Maybe even think about replacing the catalytic converters

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Folks,

Truck in sig below has 140,000 miles. I have a good friend (mechanic) visiting in a few weeks and we're going to go over and address a few items that I have not taken care of in the past. Truck is garage kept and in very good condition, runs very well. Here's what I have done in the last few years:

All drivetrain fluids replaced.
Coolant replaced.
Serpintine belt and idler pully recently replaced.
Plugs, cap, wires done at 100K
Intake manifold gasket

Here's what we are planning:

Replace soft brake lines w/ braided stainless (suggestions for source appreciated) Russell sells a great kit
Brake fluid flush Get a bleeder kit or do it one caliper at a time starting at the back, spray the bleeders with WD40 though a few days in advance
Power steering fluid flushI sucked all I could from mine, replace, run it, suck it out, until pretty red.
Inspect all front end components, ball joints, etc. grease everything, jack one side up at a time and use a pry bar under the tire to check for play
Inspect brakes (pads/shoes have been replaced)
fuel filter (it has been replaced twice)

Let me know what I'm missing, thanks.

Mark

Replace plugs again, check wires, check air filter and as said above take apart the TB and clean really well.

SCOTTYINWV

Reaction score
I would also drain and refill the trans with some fresh syncromesh. I used penzoil in mine and it really cleaned up the feel and sound of gear changes. The trans just worked smoother as a whole.

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
No sugesstions, sounds like a solid to do list so far. How do you like your Mag-Hytec? I've been tempted by it for a few years.

Hydengr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Appreciate the feedback so far.

Plugs are AC Delco's and "only" have 40K on them. Do you really think that they need replaced? NV3500's gear oil was replaced about 20K ago; refilled with correct GM syncromesh fluid.

Cleaning TB is now on the list, thanks!

RyanMerrick; I do like the Mag-Hytec Cover. Higher capacity has to be a good thing. Refilled with synthetic fluid. No issues, next change will be a breeze with the drain plug!

Anything else??

SCOTTYINWV

Reaction score
:handshake: ^ one of the most common overlooked things. Noone thinks they need replaced until they throw a code.

I would also change to a merge pipe with a new thunderbolt 3 cat converter. Well worth the $70 or so it costs. 140k on a stock cat is probably slowly stopping up and robbing power.

Hydengr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Skylark,

Front O2's have been replaced... 1 at ~50K, the other at ~75K. Left that out, sorry!

Is there anyway to "test" or assess the condition of one's cats?

SCOTTYINWV; I'm not familair with what you've referenced (merge pipe with a new thunderbolt 3 cat conver) but I will "google it" and see what I can find.

Thanks guys, your knowledge is much appreciated...

Mark

SCOTTYINWV

Reaction score