M1009 or CUCV brush guard on GMT400?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GT_80

Always Tinkerin'
Reaction score
Anyone ever done it? Put a M1009 or CUCV brush guard from an oobs on a GMT400? How hard was it?

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

only one I can find online that came with it was this military GMT400- not too many out there from what I gather:
You must be registered for see images attach

I know a guy that has some of these and I would love to fit it to my truck, just don't know if it has been done before. I guess it would be as easy as cutting factory tabs off and weldingnew ones on. I need a new front bumper too - was almost thinking of fabbing a whole front bumper

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
I haven't ever done it, but if you can cut and weld, it should be cake. They are really simple, just flat stock really.

GT_80

Always Tinkerin'
Reaction score
I think I am gnna go for it- I can get a basically ok guard off a forestry truck for $100 has a dent in it or a mint one in army camo for $200 off a buddy of mine that strips 80's trucks... I bet I could have it on the truck on a matter of an hour or so.. I just need to figure out how to mount it. How did the bumperettes and other push bars mount on these? Bolt to the bumper by drilling holes or did they connect to the top bumper bolts and the tow hook position?

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
I think I am gnna go for it- I can get a basically ok guard off a forestry truck for $100 has a dent in it or a mint one in army camo for $200 off a buddy of mine that strips 80's trucks... I bet I could have it on the truck on a matter of an hour or so.. I just need to figure out how to mount it. How did the bumperettes and other push bars mount on these? Bolt to the bumper by drilling holes or did they connect to the top bumper bolts and the tow hook position?
Different brands mounted different ways. You can have a grille guard made for these trucks for the same price

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
You're going to have to fab a mount of some sort, so just do it however you prefer.

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
On the CUCV's they wrap around the stock bumper

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

GT_80

Always Tinkerin'
Reaction score
The other option I have it building one, which I have done before.. I could use 1" square tubing or round tubing... or flatstock like the Military ones- I doubt I could do it for less than $100 though

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
But then it'd be made for the truck and exactly how you want it.

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
I mean, you could just cut the bottom off the CUCV one and build your mount, that would be easiest I would think

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
The front end on a gmt400 has a bigger curve to it than a cucv so it probably wont look quite right unless you cut it in half and rewelded it with a little bit of an angle to it too match the bumper., The height of the guard is probably going to be too tall also. I can measure the height on my '87 if you want.

I would just make one IMO. Buy some 1/4" thick flat bar from a metal supplier and build jigs out of wood to make the bends.