LT1 2nd gen version power steering question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Heres a decent picture. Its all on the drivers side
Unfortunately it appears you have the Type II pump which is lower gpm for any given RPM compared to the N or P pump, which means youll need to probably modify your flow control valve and fitting... BUT IT DOES NOT swap with the earlier saginaw pump., So you need to modify what you have and you also
Also it sounds like the Serpentine belt changed layout switch up keeps the pump rotating the same anyway'

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the pump will be fine. worst case you change the flow control valve down the road. the older saginaw pumps gpm is overkill anyway, most of it ends up getting bypassed and wastes HP

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
JMO (which is worth about what ya pay for it) ... Don't bother with a Gen II swap, even if the motor's free. If it were that good, GM would've nursed Gen II longer. A Gen II swap will end up costing the average joe more in long run. And boy howdy are ya limited with what ya can do with a Gen II. I know of Nobody who seriously campaigns a Gen II racer; plenty reasons why not to. Spend your funds on a different platform. Good luck on your project.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
JMO (which is worth about what ya pay for it) ... Don't bother with a Gen II swap, even if the motor's free. If it were that good, GM would've nursed Gen II longer. A Gen II swap will end up costing the average joe more in long run. And boy howdy are ya limited with what ya can do with a Gen II. I know of Nobody who seriously campaigns a Gen II racer; plenty reasons why not to. Spend your funds on a different platform. Good luck on your project.

Agree to disagree.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

MarkZ28

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its going in an 89 chevy 2wd truck, no race car. Its a heck of a lot better than the crappy tbi 350. Its just a fun project that isnt costing me a lot.

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good Lord! What do ya 'spose Atkins $threw$ at that? Not the average joe. Whole 'nuther planet.

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Its going in an 89 chevy 2wd truck, no race car. Its a heck of a lot better than the crappy tbi 350. Its just a fun project that isnt costing me a lot.
Tally up about halfway in; reality check.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
aside from the intake, how will it cost more? more than what, keeping the SBC in there? with the gmpp intake you can run a traditional distributor so no more optispark to deal with. i don't know where you live but a gen 2 swap is a fraction of the cost of what an LS would be here. not to mention the LS swap nickle and dimes you to death. the gen 2 bolts in same as a sbc,no custom mounts or anything like that. OP already has the corvette accessory setup, so no frame notching if you want to keep AC like with the B or F-body setup. The stock LT1 is just fine for power especially in a DD or cruiser. Can easily pep it up a bit with a cam or exhaust, same as any engine.