LT1 2nd gen version power steering question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarkZ28

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, have an 89 C1500 I am swapping a 92 vette LT1 into. Have the vette accesories and brackets, all that jazz. Swapping to carb so no wiring issues. All I need to know is what to do with the high pressure steering hose, what works or have to have one made. Ive searched on here and other places, and messaged a few that have swapped a LT1 but havent heard back. Also swapping in a T56 from a 97 Z28. Thanks for the help. Engine was free in a parts car, so have all I need. Cant afford a "cheap" LS swap, lol. No such thing arpund here. So no ls swap it replies please. I know they are a much better engine but they arent free like the LT1.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To start with post a pic of where the power steering pump is located on the engine. Then test the old line from the LT1 to see if it fits in the steering box or if it’s a different thread. If it’s different then you can use an adapter. If it’s the same fitting but you need a different shape hose then check junkyards till you find what would work and buy one new for that combo.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
LT1 pump is for a rack, not a box. I wonder if there will be pressure/flow concerns there? Why not bolt on your truck accessories to the LT1?

MarkZ28

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pump is on drivers side on bottonm, not far from where truck one is at, but it has the remote reservoir, and high pressure line goes in from top, truckk from lower back of pump

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It wont work due to lt1 having a cam driven water pump.

You'd think I would have remembered that. LT1 ps pump is totally its own thing. I want to say it's a reverse rotation version of an LS1 pump. But now that you're mentioning its location, that's definitely different from my Camaro so I wonder if the reverse rotation is an F body only thing. Mine uses o-rings on the PS lines, do you know if your box is o-ring or inverted flare? I think that's about the only gotcha.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The water pump may be reverse-rotation, but the flow is the same. The revised block and head passages "reverse cool", where the cylinder head is cooled first, then the coolant flows downward into the block.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You'd think I would have remembered that. LT1 ps pump is totally its own thing. I want to say it's a reverse rotation version of an LS1 pump. But now that you're mentioning its location, that's definitely different from my Camaro so I wonder if the reverse rotation is an F body only thing. Mine uses o-rings on the PS lines, do you know if your box is o-ring or inverted flare? I think that's about the only gotcha.
gm went to o ring in 1980

Inverted flare was before that, you could convert to one or the other easily if you desired.
Ok, have an 89 C1500 I am swapping a 92 vette LT1 into. Have the vette accesories and brackets, all that jazz. Swapping to carb so no wiring issues. All I need to know is what to do with the high pressure steering hose, what works or have to have one made. Ive searched on here and other places, and messaged a few that have swapped a LT1 but havent heard back. Also swapping in a T56 from a 97 Z28. Thanks for the help. Engine was free in a parts car, so have all I need. Cant afford a "cheap" LS swap, lol. No such thing arpund here. So no ls swap it replies please. I know they are a much better engine but they arent free like the LT1.
looks like your corvette LT1 uses a Saginaw N pump which is like the ones in our truck(so the flow control valve AND union fitting can be instaled from your current pump assuming they are in good shape and your N pump is not needing repairs)
You must be registered for see images attach

The saginaw N pump is a saginaw P pump(ham can) that is not a submerged type. The CB pump is similar (also shares the valve and union) but thats used mostly on cars.

There is a spring, an o ring, and a valve, and a union that are in line on both pumps. Assuming you have the power steering reservoir from the corvette, and it doesnt intefere with anything, youll be good there

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
youll either need a small custom bend to get the hose in the right spot OR you may be able to get yours to work based on how relatively nearby that pump is.. albeit, the fitting is facing a different way, so youll probably have to either get a custom cable or some other solution