LS swap questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shaun

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I really want to drop a newer 6.0 into my 90 rcsb. I've been looking on eBay and other sources and have been able to find a lot of full drop outs with engine/tranny/wiring harness/by wire gas pedal/ecm...and whatever else they say I need to do the swap. Now,my question to any of you that have done this, is what kind of problems am I going to run in to? Will the lines to my ac compressor fit a newer compressor? Do you have any pictures of where to stick the ecm and wiring? I know they make motor mount adapters,so that's not an issue. But is the drive shaft I have gonna be compatible with the newer transmission? I currently have the tbi 350/700r4 setup. Basically, this thing is still my daily driver, and I want to be fully prepared, so the swap can be as seamless as possible. I'd like to get it done in a weekend. I'm sure there's already threads on here touching base on this, but my computers down, and I'm doing all this on my phone, so it's kinda a huge pain in the ass to sift through all of them. Any help would be hugely appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Shaun

BHBurban

GMT 1600
Reaction score
Pick up one (or all) of these

You must be registered for see images attach

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
Seriously there are so many stand alone harnesses now adays it's all plug and play.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
only thing i havent found answered is it seems most people do it on 95+ truck so us 94- downers are kinda stuck with what to do with wiring. im cheap and want and will be using a factory harness unless someone wants to make one for cheap for me.

a great source of info for is tgo but theres a lot of difference between a car and truck

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
only thing i havent found answered is it seems most people do it on 95+ truck so us 94- downers are kinda stuck with what to do with wiring. im cheap and want and will be using a factory harness unless someone wants to make one for cheap for me.

a great source of info for is tgo but theres a lot of difference between a car and truck

man i dont know what you mean most do the 95+ truck cuz the 88 to 95 are the same.. the 96 to 99 are a lot harder to do.. i did the swap on my 96 and at the time no one made a harness for the 96+ that wasnt a stand a lone.. now there are harnesses that are for the 96+ trucks..

now the 88 to 95 truck all you need is a $500 harness and your done.. the stand alone one will work, they even make the oil an water temp senser that plug right in.. if you had the motor and all the stuff in front of you, you could do the 88 to 95 swap in a weekend easy.. the 96+ trucks you need alittle more time cuz having to work though all the wiring.. ive been told that you can make the stock vortec engine harness work but it takes alot more time..