LS SWAP IN CALIFORNIA

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steven Petersen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I got bought my first vehicle at 15, it was 1992 and I lived in Fresno county. It was a 74 CJ5 that had a 70 model year 350 Chevy in it. Installed by the previous owner according to CA’s “rules”. It’s been so long ago I don’t remember much. There may have been a note of it on the registration. I do remember hearing the term “smog referee”. So at least back then there was a legal way to swap an older model engine in. I’m sure it’s been changed by now.

Steven Petersen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another method I used in CA. I had an 88 K1500 at the time that I couldn’t get to pass smog. I hadn’t learned the denatured alcohol trick yet. So I just paid the tax but no smog check. I drove it for around 3 years with mud over the old registration sticker. Old farmer’s trick.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In 1981 before calif smog laws starting cracking down. My father in law had a dodge 4x4 short bed with 318 or 360?. And had a another dodge sedan with a 383, 70's something got hit while parked on street. (See where we're going?) A few times he mentioned how the truck kinda lacked the beans when going from the valley up to Coulterville/Greeley hill. I didn't say anthing to him, but i did research and measuring. (Yep can do) So one weekend i said let's put the 383 in truck. "You can do that?" So swapped the 383 in. They were just amazed at how full of lumber and tools for there foothill cabin, it was a rocket going up the hills. Back then the Smog Referee saw it was Chrysler all the original smog there " good to go, see ya" noted on registration for approved 383. Now there's no way rules are strict very little leeway. What you swap in has to all smog for the engine year. All the conditions and procedures are on the CAL smog site. Not hard to find. The registration for my 95 K2500 was $245 this year. We get screwed in CA all pickups w/ open bed are license as commercial vehicles, even though it's just your family truck not a bussiness vehicle. Fees are outrageous it's just a cash cow for psychotic state govt. CA dmv paid millions for computerized fees registration system that never worked and was dumped after 2 months. The whole DMV and smog thing is getting out of control.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oklahoma is at the other end of extremes. If you put a tag and insurance on it, you're good unless you get pulled over with busted taillights and start arguing with the cops. Because I'm still in the military, I pay $25 for my tags. Six months of insurance for the truck is $98, and that's not basic coverage, although I do have three decades of clean driving under my belt. We don't have smog nor safety inspections, and there's some pretty hooptie garbage on the roads around here. Twenty years ago people were paying two grand a year for their first tag, but enough people were getting mail-order Oregon tags that the legislature got smart and lowered our tag fees.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Oklahoma is at the other end of extremes. If you put a tag and insurance on it, you're good unless you get pulled over with busted taillights and start arguing with the cops. Because I'm still in the military, I pay $25 for my tags. Six months of insurance for the truck is $98, and that's not basic coverage, although I do have three decades of clean driving under my belt. We don't have smog nor safety inspections, and there's some pretty hooptie garbage on the roads around here. Twenty years ago people were paying two grand a year for their first tag, but enough people were getting mail-order Oregon tags that the legislature got smart and lowered our tag fees.

That's the least they can do with all those damn tornadoes you have to deal with.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, yeah. I went through two roofs in ten years from softball-sized hail. My homeowners insurance is pretty outrageous, and I'm on the 500 year flood plain.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our smog laws and checks are literally non-existent. In more populated areas of the state they are required, but we're pretty much left alone down here.
Trucks are licensed according to weight, so I can get by with a light truck plate on the dually (can't get vanity plates in higher classifications, I asked) as long as I don't get caught overweight. State boys are more interested in commercial trucks, and you pretty much gotta be a complete asshat to get the city and county cops to write you up, let alone for an emissions violation. Loud exhaust ticket? Sure, if you're driving like a dick.