Lowering an 89 Step Side

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Muskratt2

Reaction score
I'm new to the forums & I just bought an 89 step side.
I want to lower it 5/7. All the kits I have seen are 4/6.
How & what is the best way to lower it 5/7 & what will give me the best ride?

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hello, yes you can go 5-7 drop, you need 2 inch spindles preferably DJM and 3 inch drop coils up front, and a flip kit with some 2 inch shackles in the rear, on the rear you will want to use the shackles at the 1 inch drop hole instead of 2 for you 7 inch rear drop. Also don't forget some good lowered shock's, and shock extenders for the rear.

Muskratt2

Reaction score
Thanks Draggin95.
Who has the best 3" drop riding springs out there?
I have seen where some guys went 8" on the rear, will the truckbe even if I went that low?
What are the best lowering shocks to get?

dagen_1

OBS 4 Me
Reaction score
howdy neighbor... i noticed you're from Rocky Mount, VA. im near Bristol.

i had a smooth ride from my Western Chassis smooth rider coil springs. i used rear shocks for a 1967 Impala on the rear of my truck with shock extenders and it road really nice. most of the drop shocks are stiff.

Muskratt2

Reaction score
howdy neighbor... i noticed you're from Rocky Mount, VA. im near Bristol.

i had a smooth ride from my Western Chassis smooth rider coil springs. i used rear shocks for a 1967 Impala on the rear of my truck with shock extenders and it road really nice. most of the drop shocks are stiff.

Thanks for the advice about the shocks. That is a concern I have. I had an 85 Ford F350 dually I lowered a coupe of years ago & couldn't get anybody to help me with advice on what shocks to pick. What shocks did you use?
I'll check out Western chassis about the springs.

sewlow,Thanks for the advice. I might go the 5/8 route to get it level & lower.

I'll say this before it is said. I'm not interested in bags I just want to keep the original suspension mounts.