Lower front valance removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BluC10

Reaction score
Hey everyone, so I've always wanted to remove the front valance because I believe it looks better, that's just me ik a lot of people don't like it. Well the other day I was out wheeling and....well it was ripped off. And to be honest I do think it looks better. But my buddy said that will cause the truck to over heat because thats how the radiator gets cooled. I thought it would go right through the grille to the rad. And my other buddy has a 94 plow truck and he drove it in 60 degree weather with the plow on and it never got over 230. So I think I am fine, any opinions?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's not going to hurt anything at all. They're more for aerodynamics (and looks) really. Personally I like the way they look, but if you like the truck better without it then there's no reason not to run it that way.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Some newer vehicles use a valence/dam to scoop air into the radiator, etc because they have a tiny little opening where a grille would go on a normal vehicle. Not having that dam on those vehicles can cause overheating. Mostly cars (06 grand prix for example). Your truck is not one of those vehicles. Run it how you like it.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The valance has nothing to do with cooling the radiator. You are correct about the air moving across it, and what air the fan pull across the radiator at low speeds and when stopped. My valance has been off of my truck for years, and it never over heats, even in the hot south Louisiana summers.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
Didn't the valence have some cooling effect on the 6.5s? I could be as wrong as OPs buddy though

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Didn't the valence have some cooling effect on the 6.5s? I could be as wrong as OPs buddy though
6.5s, IDK, but I do know that on any gas engine GMT 400 the valance does nothing to direct flow across the radiator.

Thatfordguy

Because I can!!
Reaction score
I've removed the valance from every truck I've owned including 2 gmt400s without issue

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I heard the valance under the bumper helps MPGs. any truth to that?

Your thinking about the black plastic deflectors behind the bumper in the square holes of 6.5 diesel trucks

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score
As everyone else said, run it without the valance if that's what you wanna do. As for your friend, find the broken valance and slap him in the face with it [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk