Low buck TBI truck Cams

Cam Choice

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

66NovaSS

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

So friend of mine recently bought this old girl for $250 Ive been trying help find a cam, (were going with something from Comp Cams no questions), We want to keep the TBI unit and do some basic mods to improve its up-and-go. The cams ive been looking are XE computer controlled series cams. We want to go the biggest possible cam without having to change from the TBI unit.

All three choices are the same except for duration and lift

All three:
262-400Ci 1958-1998
Xtreme Energy Computer controlled series
1000-5000 RPM range
Hyd Flat Tappet
Going to buy the corresponding k-kit with the cam aswell.

Differences :
Int/Exh Duration @.50
206/212, 212/218, 218/224
(their is a 224/230 option but even with the hand porting to be done the stock heads are gonna be done about 5500 i figured)

PN'S
206: 12-249-4 -• Great In Throttle Body • Crossfire or Carbureted Engine & 305 TPI only one listed as for a TBI unit

212: 12-256-4 - Best In 305 Or 350 Tuned Port Injected Engines

218: 12-262-4 - • Good For TPI 305 or 350 w/ Aftermarket Chip & Upgraded Exhaust

Reason im having issues is theirs videos like this one
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
And the guy says its a magnum 270 with stock TBI unit.

If anyone could point to a thread on doing swap like this that be great. Im sure it will be fine regardless of cam choice just rather prevent issues before hand.

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Putting money into a hydraulic flat-tappet cam and K-kit is nuts. If you're going to upgrade at all, get an OEM-style roller cam with the step-nose for the thrust plate, and OEM roller lifters/dogbones/spider. There's a moderate chance the engine block is already set up for the roller lifters and thrust plate, although that's not guaranteed.

How much computer "tuning" are you willing to do?

66NovaSS

Reaction score
Depends never tuned a OBD1 anything done a little bit with OBD2 Vortec.
This isnt going to a super choppy idle badass truck meant for racing only. Just a peppy daily of sorts, but it wont be dailyed. Do i want the thing to be good for what it is? Hell yes but thats for down the road this just make the most out of what we got. Assuming you dont carb swap it.

Im certain the truck has the provision for the rollers we're going to pick it this Sunday. Just depends if we got roller cam money he wants to go all out chineseium and get a $400 full "performance" rebuild kit.

66NovaSS

Reaction score
Do i want a flat tappet, would prefer not but we are trying to go for as much bang for as little buck. Roller conversion kits are an easy $80+.

Truck needs a fuel pump and P/S pump hell the lines and everything are missing, theirs a truck with TBI 350 at a local junkyard with a aftermarket intake valve covers and TBI unit were going to go get.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Roller conversion kits are an easy $80+.
I think you forgot a zero there, ha ha. I did the math and went with a Lunati Voodoo 10120700LK flat tappet cam and 1.6 full roller rockers. After all the money I spent on this engine and drive train I guess another chunk of money for a roller cam wouldn't have been too bad. It's all about your budget and requirements. I thought about going with a stiffer cam but I was trying to keep it emissions legal. I'm happy with it, I cut 4+ seconds off my 0-60 and 1/4mile times compared to stock. YMMV

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lun-10120700lk

These heads helped quite a bit too

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-162108/make/chevrolet

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your block has the threaded holes for the roller stuff, you can get the spider, dog bones, roller lifters, pushrods, and cam retainer from a junkyard motor for $20. Be sure to disassemble and clean the lifters and pushrods good.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Brand new factory roller rockers were $120 last my friend got some on Amazon. It's cheap AF to go with factory roller stuff if you can.

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The smallest cam listed 206/[email protected] is the only one that will run decent with the stock chip.
If your going to buy a junkyard 350, look for an early 90s Caprice. They had the roller tech and flat top pistons. A police Caprice also had the TPI cam so need to change one out.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I ran the 268 extreme energy in a TBI 406 I built 20 years ago. Ran friggin awesome; had crazy torque, ran outta road before stopped pulling. But if had an all stock fuel system and ecm, never had a chip made for it. YouTube that cam, even in 406 it had a noticeable choppy idle.

Markmartin01

Reaction score
I used an enginetech that is ground by Elgin at 204/214 @ .050 but the LSA is only 107 so vaccum stays up. Added a bit of torque and throttle response but not aggressive. The TBI is a little confused when it's really cold outside and bumps the idle up and down but it's fine once warm.