Loud thunk at idle after coming to a stop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMblood

Reaction score
2000 ccsb 5.7 4l80e 4x4
Not sure if this is the right section to post this issue but i have no idea what it could be. I have only owned the truck for a few months now, its always done it. Been trying to figure it out but no luck. Every time I come to a stop and idle for a minute (red light) ill hear and feel a big thump like somebody softly rear ended me. I also have been getting a vibration from around 35-60mph I suspect driveshaft center bearing.

jkeaton

It’s been real
Reaction score
What is the idle doing when this happens? Help us narrow it down...do you hear anything or just feel it?

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
I had something similar with my Yukon. When I would left off the brake after coming to a stop there would be a similar noise. Turned out the yoke was binding at the transmission. I pulled it out, greased and it went away for a while until I bought the nickel plated one. I've never heard of it being an issue on the trucks, though.

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
I had something similar with my Yukon. When I would left off the brake after coming to a stop there would be a similar noise. Turned out the yoke was binding at the transmission. I pulled it out, greased and it went away for a while until I bought the nickel plated one. I've never heard of it being an issue on the trucks, though.

This is most likely what's going on with your truck. It's not a sign of anything terrible, I'm not even entirely sure that it can even call the problem. I bet if you pay attention, you'll notice the problem happens more if you have let off the brakes just a tiny amount, which releases some of the tension that has the yoke bound up in the transmission,. My Suburban did this with a 4 L 60 e, but when I rebuilt the rear end, I cleaned up the pinion part of the yoke that fits up in the transmission a little bit with some 600 grit sandpaper, and it doesn't seem to do it anymore.

Steve A

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check the torque converter to flexplate bolts. Worked on a Jeep one time with similar symptoms, found the torque converter bolts had worked back and forth till they were almost cut through.

GMblood

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies,
The A/C is not on it alot louder than the compressor clutch. I can feel it throughout the cab when it happens. It doesnt happen all the time only, after ive been driving for a bit at high speed. I thought the same thing that maybe i was slightly letting off the brake and that was it but im pretty sure im solid on the pedal when it happens. I agree it could maybe be the torque converter. Im taking to a shop to see what they say about it ill let you guys know what i find.