Loud clapping noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Playare

Enter Custom User Title:
Reaction score
Loud clapping noise UPDATE (fixed?)

So the truck has been doing this all winter, I've just been too lazy to ask about it. I only drive the truck a couple times a week, and it's usually ~50 outside. It does this for a good 5 minutes. When I rev, it speeds up. I don't notice any other problems except that it seems to idle a bit lower than usual, like 2000rpm at 70mph, but maybe this is normal and I just noticed it as I looked for it lol.

Is this something I should get checked?

Specs: 1998 Cheyenne 4.3l V6, 247,*** miles. Completely stock.

View My Video

Last edited:

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Hard to tell from a video and an internet post, but seems consistent with cold piston slap.

Eventually, it's terminal. It doesn't get better, only worse.

Slapping for 5 mins is pretty loose clearances.

Eventually the skirt will collapse, the piston will **** in the bore too much or the wrist pin will go sloppy.

Only way to fix it is rebuild.

If it IS piston slap that is.......hard to tell over the internet.....:)

Rod knock is more or a thunk/clunk noise than that rap sound you have.

Could be something in the valve train, but that would be half engine speed. That sounds like crank speed indicating something in the rotating assembly.....

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Just a guess...have you checked the cover on the bottom front side of the trans that covers the ring gear/torque converter? Make sure that it's not hitting those things.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Just a guess...have you checked the cover on the bottom front side of the trans that covers the ring gear/torque converter? Make sure that it's not hitting those things.

That's a good thought and an easy check, although it wouldn't clear once warmed up. That would indicate excessive clearance somewhere that closes up as it warms.

Unless I misunderstood the original post, the noise eventually abates which would be consistent with a worn component.....

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
possibly could be the flexplate as well, i had mine crack last year and it sounded similar and only at certain RPM

Playare

Enter Custom User Title:
Reaction score
It disappears after it warms up, yes. and it sounds really close to that in person.

:( That's a bummer to hear. IF it is what you say, any suggestions on how to prolong the life? and how long would you say she has?

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
It disappears after it warms up, yes. and it sounds really close to that in person.

:( That's a bummer to hear. IF it is what you say, any suggestions on how to prolong the life? and how long would you say she has?

Nope, piston slap is excessive clearance between piston skirt and cylinder wall. Its mechanical wear. Once it's there, its a fact.

Could last a month, could last years.

But given how loud that is, i wouldn't bet on a long life.

If it is piston slap that is.....

Open the hood and have a look/listen around the engine bay. Try to pinpoint where it is the most loud....

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been driving mine for a year an a half with the piston slap on startup. At the most it lasts about 2.5 minutes on the coldest winter mornings. In the summer most of the time you can't even hear it unless it sits a few days without being started.

I wouldn't worry to much about it, just drive it until it goes an rebuild it then. Or pickup a spare engine an build it for when the time comes.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been driving mine for a year an a half with the piston slap on startup. At the most it lasts about 2.5 minutes on the coldest winter mornings. In the summer most of the time you can't even hear it unless it sits a few days without being started.

I wouldn't worry to much about it, just drive it until it goes an rebuild it then. Or pickup a spare engine an build it for when the time comes.

Mines goin on 3 years:lol:

Sent from somewhere in MN

Playare

Enter Custom User Title:
Reaction score
Damn lol. Well I just hope it runs long enough for me to drive home for the summer. It's a nice 700mile trip lol. And then after that I'll be looking towards rebuilding it. Thanks for the help.