Looking at a 6.5TD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
I dont need something with a lot of "kick it in the ass power" just something that's going to pull when I need it to and daily drive every other day of the week. without the money to throw down on a Duramax or a cummins (would never own a powerjoke, unless I got one hell of a deal on one) I'm going to have to settle for a 6.5. truth is, I need a 2500. period. and can't afford the mileage of a gasser.

My buddy's 5.3 went 130+ miles a few weeks back. Got about 12-15 towing.
You must be registered for see images
did an amazing job. I hauled the same trailer and blazer back with a year newer and lower mileage gmc 2500 with a 6.0 and honestly I preferred the 5.3 half ton over the 3/4.

It's your choice obviously but you would be surprised how capable the newer trucks really are. The only issue he had was squat. And he now has a set of 3/4 helper air bags and has towed his 83 k20 with a 454 with no trouble.

Sent from what is likely a government flagged smartphone. Tyler/T-Unit

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Well, I've got one of the "hotter" 6.5's around. It will tow my 8500lb, 34 foot travel trailer anywhere. When I say everywhere, I mean everywhere.

Prairies, Appalachians, all over the Rockies. Vantage highway, Butte, 4th of July, grapevine, all of it. Here's our last long pull:

You must be registered for see images attach

Unloaded it can get around 18 mpg combined. That's a K2500 ECLB with 4:10 finals. When mine was a stocker, you could count on around 13-14 mpg. Coincidentally, mine gets around 13-14 mpg hauling our monster trailer after the "upgrades" were done.

Now, after such a positive sounding start and from a guy who some might think would be the biggest supporter of 6.5's, here's the shocker:

I do not recommend you buy a 6.5 TD.

Not unless you're willing to sink stupid amounts of cash into it and get mediocre results for your efforts. Mediocre towing performance. Mediocre MPG performance. Mediocre reliability. Acceptable daily driving but unacceptable NVH performance.

In stock form, they are crap. They lack power. They overheat. They fracture main webs. They break cranks. They have pull-your-hair-out-and-shoot-yourself-in-the-face electrical problems. Injection pumps are suspect unless you have the newest update with ceramic components. and on, and on and on.....

The reason mine is reliable and powerful can be boiled down to one number: $20,000+

That's the purchase price of the truck and fixing all that is wrong with them.

Here's a brief list:

Purchase price 1998 K2500 ECLB - $5,000

OEM Engine (the second one by the way) cracked the main webs and cracked a piston crown - replaced with a new optimizer for $10,000 (includes labor since we were on a trip)
Injectors (done twice) - $800
Harmonic balancer (fluidampr, OEM's are pointless) - $500
Computer recalibration (stock calibration is crap and the biggest problem with power) - $600
PMD relocation kit and new PMD (absolutely essential for every electronic 6.5) - $500
Water meth injection (needed if you don't want to overheat pulling long hills) - $500
New Standyne updated pump for ULSD - $1500
3"/4" Turbo back exhaust - $400
Bigger oil cooler and SS lines - $400
HO water pump - $150

Right there I'm over 20,000 and I could go on with lots of maintenance items I had to do. But that list about what is essentially JUST the engine. I'm probably closer to 23-25,000 into the truck by now but it makes me sick to think about it. Had I not been so "pig headed" about getting a GMT 400 (and wanting to "cheap out" on the purchase at first), I could have had a nice LB7 Duramax that would be around 4-500 rwhp and would tow more than I could ever want. With more potential should I ever want to tap it.

You can cheap that list out some, but you're sacrificing something somewhere. For example: you can buy a military take out 6.2 for around 2 grand vice the 7 it will cost for a new GEP engine. That will save you 5 grand. But: they are NA engines. No piston oil cooling jets, smaller precombustion chambers instead of the larger turbo chambers and among other things - you're taking your chances on whether or not you will have to rebuild it when you get it. There goes most of your 5 grand.

If you get an older 6.5, you can start adding things like replacement turbo, later style cooling upgrade parts (mid 97 is when it started), etc, etc...

The biggest problem is that GM cast engine. It's crap and needs to be replaced with a GEP/Navistar redesigned casting. There is only two types of OEM blocks: those that have failed or those that are going to fail. A running OEM block is a ticking time bomb. I have yet to pull one apart (running or not) that isn't cracked in the main webs. Even the supposedly "best" 599 casting (that was the last one I blew up by the way). The crack main webs, nodular iron cranks break, they crack cylinder, the heads crack in the water jackets between valves, the starter pad mounts break off, and on, and on....

And the 6.5 is anything but refined. It's loud. I mean my wife hates it loud. Believe me, I know how to tune a 6.5 and it's not getting any quieter than it is now.

Even with all this money I'm still only pulling 250 RWP and around 470 lb/ft. That's only stock LB7 territory.

Really, unless you plan to drive it till it drops or have very deep pockets, avoid the 6.5 trucks.

There's a reason why they a cheap to buy in.

It's not a good design for a truck that pulls any kind of weight or (at the age they're at now) needs to be reliable. Power is not very good at all, not much better than a stock 350 in the same chassis. 454 is a better tow pig in stock form, but you pay for that in MPG. A used LB7 truck would make a good puller and return good mileage. They are also getting relatively affordable. The problem with LB7 trucks are the injectors. They are prone to leaks and failure and are hellacious expensive. As in thousands to replace expensive.

Again, I really advise against buying a 6.5. Especially if you are "cash strapped".

Towing heavy and affordable are not really words that go together.

Last edited:

aarolar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, I've got one of the "hotter" 6.5's around. It will tow my 8500lb, 34 foot travel trailer anywhere. When I say everywhere, I mean everywhere.

Prairies, Appalachians, all over the Rockies. Vantage highway, Butte, 4th of July, grapevine, all of it. Here's our last long pull:

Unloaded it can get around 18 mpg combined. That's a K2500 ECLB with 4:10 finals. When mine was a stocker, you could count on around 13-14 mpg. Coincidentally, mine gets around 13-14 mpg hauling our monster trailer after the "upgrades" were done.

Now, here's the shocker: I do not recommend you buy a 6.5 TD.

In stock form, they are crap. They lack power. They overheat. They fracture main webs. They break cranks. They have pull-your-hair-out-and-shoot-yourself-in-the-face electrical problems. Injection pumps are suspect unless you have the newest update with ceramic components. and on, and on and on.....

The reason mine is reliable and powerful can be boiled down to one number: $20,000+

Here's a brief list:

OEM Engine (the second one by the way) cracked the main webs and cracked a piston crown - replaced with a new optimizer for $10,000 (includes labor since we were on a trip)
Computer recalibration (stock calibration is crap and the biggest problem with power) - $600
PMD relocation kit and new PMD (absolutely essential for every electronic 6.5) - $500
Water meth injection (needed if you don't want to overheat pulling long hills) - $500
HO water pump - $150

Right there I'm over 20,000 and I could go on with lots of maintenance items I had to do. But that list about is essentially JUST the engine. I'm probably closer to 23-25,000 into the truck by now but it makes me sick to think about it.

You can cheap that list out some, but you're sacrificing something somewhere. For example: you can buy a military take out 6.2 for around 2 grand vice the 7 it will cost for a new GEP engine. That will save you 5 grand. But: they are NA engines. No piston oil cooling jets, smaller precombustion chambers instead of the larger turbo chambers and among other things - you're taking your chances on whether or not you will have to rebuild it when you get it. There goes most of your 5 grand.

If you get an older 6.5, you can start adding things like replacement turbo, later style cooling upgrade parts, etc, etc...

The biggest problem is that GM cast engine. It's crap and needs to be replaced with a GEP/Navistar redesigned casting. There is only two types of OEM blocks: those that have failed or those that are going to fail. A running OEM block is a ticking time bomb. I have yet to pull one apart (running or not) that isn't cracked in the main webs. Even the supposedly "best" 599 casting (that was the last one I blew up by the way). The crack main webs, nodular iron cranks break, they crack cylinder, the heads crack in the water jackets between valves, the starter pad mounts break off, and on, and on....

And the 6.5 is anything but refined. It's loud. I mean my wife hates it loud. Believe me, I know how to tune a 6.5 and it's not getting any quieter than it is now.

Even with all this money I'm still only pulling 250 RWP and around 470 lb/ft. That's only stock LB7 territory.

Really, unless you plan to drive it till it drops or have very deep pockets, avoid the 6.5 trucks.

It's not a good design for a truck that pulls any kind of weight or (at the age they're at now) needs to be reliable. Power is not very good at all, not much better than a stock 350 in the same chassis. 454 is a better tow pig in stock form, but you pay for that in MPG.

I really advise against buying one, especially if you are cash strapped.

Wow I am soooo glad I went with a 454 after reading this.

But in all seriousness you couldn't hardly even get into a ragged out LB7 or Cummins for 20k in my parts and even then there is no telling how much you would spend on it getting it as reliable as what you have now.

Last edited:

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Wow I am soooo glad I went with a 454 after reading this.

But in all seriousness you couldn't hardly even get into a ragged out LB7 or Cummins for 20k in my parts and even then there is no telling how much you would spend on it getting it as reliable as what you have now.

Nah, 12-15 buys a nice earlier Duramax around these parts:

http://novascotia.kijiji.ca/c-cars-...C-Sierra-2500-Pickup-Truck-W0QQAdIdZ532071653

http://novascotia.kijiji.ca/c-cars-...-2500-Duramax-Extended-Cab-W0QQAdIdZ531731391

If you want to go "ragged out", you can get in for around 5-6 grand:

http://novascotia.kijiji.ca/c-cars-...ckup-2500-SLT-Pickup-Truck-W0QQAdIdZ527336104

http://novascotia.kijiji.ca/c-cars-...K-Pickup-2500-Pickup-Truck-W0QQAdIdZ529212564

But ragged out here means lots of rust and I just wouldn't deal with that.

There are lots of guys asking around 20+ grand for decently clean Duramaxes, but those trucks usually just don't sell and sit until the price drops to a reasonable figure. Regardless of condition, they're all in the 250-300,000 km range when they seem to go up for sale.

Last edited:

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Now, after such a positive sounding start and from a guy who some might think would be the biggest supporter of 6.5's, here's the shocker:

Not unless you're willing to sink stupid amounts of cash into it and get mediocre results for your efforts. Mediocre towing performance. Mediocre MPG performance. Mediocre reliability. Acceptable daily driving but unacceptable NVH performance.

Here's a brief list:

HO water pump - $150

Right there I'm over 20,000 and I could go on with lots of maintenance items I had to do. But that list about what is essentially JUST the engine. I'm probably closer to 23-25,000 into the truck by now but it makes me sick to think about it. Had I not been so "pig headed" about getting a GMT 400 (and wanting to "cheap out" on the purchase at first), I could have had a nice LB7 Duramax that would be around 4-500 rwhp and would tow more than I could ever want. With more potential should I ever want to tap it.

If you get an older 6.5, you can start adding things like replacement turbo, later style cooling upgrade parts (mid 97 is when it started), etc, etc...

It's not a good design for a truck that pulls any kind of weight or (at the age they're at now) needs to be reliable. Power is not very good at all, not much better than a stock 350 in the same chassis. 454 is a better tow pig in stock form, but you pay for that in MPG. A used LB7 truck would make a good puller and return good mileage. They are also getting relatively affordable. The problem with LB7 trucks are the injectors. They are prone to leaks and failure and are hellacious expensive. As in thousands to replace expensive.

Again, I really advise against buying a 6.5. Especially if you are "cash strapped".

Spot on review.
We went looking for the 6.5 because we have full intention of swapping to a cummins when the 6.5 takes a dive. The best that we have done is 18.6 mpg at 61-62 mph. You can kiss mpg goodbye as soon as you get above that magic 2100 rpm.

aarolar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I spent 3 years looking for 3/4 tonn trucks before I settled on what I have, the issues I ran into with the diesels around here is that I haven't found a single one under 12k no matter how high the miles and then there are two classes 1. Trucks driven by douchbags that put a programmer on it and rag the crap out of it trying to be cool blowing black smoke on people and 2. Worked like a dog all it's life pulling everything that's not tied down or too big. None of the nice low mileage nice trucks are for sale because no one wants to get rid of them. I did find one Dmax for 10,5 but they guy was super shady acting and I am pretty sure something was major wrong with it.

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score

Here's a brief list:

HO water pump - $150

Dead on the money with this info as usual BJ

Im at the opposite end of the spectrum from BJ at the moment with a truck that is sitting with a dead injection pump. Im realizing that if i want to continue down the road of Diesel power i will need to be ready to spend the coin to do most of the 97+ upgrades to my '94...half the problem with my truck is the fact that its one of the "First Year" Drive By Wire trucks and from i understand from talking to the PO it has had PMD gremlins from the start with its previous owners before him. It is on its second engine and eventually i plan on going the same route as BJ with an Optimizer at a later stage.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Dead on the money with this info as usual BJ

Im at the opposite end of the spectrum from BJ at the moment with a truck that is sitting with a dead injection pump. Im realizing that if i want to continue down the road of Diesel power i will need to be ready to spend the coin to do most of the 97+ upgrades to my '94...half the problem with my truck is the fact that its one of the "First Year" Drive By Wire trucks and from i understand from talking to the PO it has had PMD gremlins from the start with its previous owners before him. It is on its second engine and eventually i plan on going the same route as BJ with an Optimizer at a later stage.

Actually, given my druthers there would be an LB7 or a 6BT sitting in the engine bay instead of the Optimizer 6500.

I had to install the Optimizer because of the circumstances, not from choice.

If the Optimizer calves and the truck is still good, it will likely get a 6BT and I'll finally say good by to the POS 6.x design...

Last edited: