Looking at a 6.5TD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sketch

Diesel Owner
Reaction score
Hello. I am a friend of Chris G's, I am looking to sell my 2005 ccsb silverado to upgrade to something with a little more pulling power. I am currently looking at a 98 6.5 Turbo diesel EcSb 4x4 in good shape with low miles. I live in MI. Sucky at introductions, but been on Custom GM for a long time now so Im used to the forum atmosphere. i think at one time I had an account here but or what ever reason I can't remember any of my log in information and no longer have the email to recover it. either way its great to be here and hope to catch up with some old GMT400 friends.

West Mi Mudder

OHHHH YEAHHHHH
Reaction score
Where are you located in Michigan? i live in the grand rapids area, wand own a 99 6.5... Would let you drive her around to get a feel. Im telling you now, a 05' gasser will probably have more pulling power than a 6.5... My truck does good, and never gave me any problems, but they are not huge fans of large loads. With that being said, i LOVE my truck. The sound is ********, and my truck has been called a "lady boner".

Sketch

Diesel Owner
Reaction score
I am in Pewamo, just east of Ionia. My 05 is just a 1500 and won't take the weight. everything is explained in a post i just made in the engine thread

West Mi Mudder

OHHHH YEAHHHHH
Reaction score
Ahh, not to far. Just under an hour. Well if i get my truck running Saturday, i wouldn't mind meeting up some time. I would like to meet other members. I would be more than welcome to let you take the drivers seat a bit and get a feel of the truck. Let it be known, mine is not stock.

Sketch

Diesel Owner
Reaction score
Probably wont work this Saturday, although I would like to meet up sooner or later. Farm is in full swing right now with harvest time kicking off. All my time has been devoted to seat time in the combine and I'm sure unless we get rain the pattern will continue into next week lol. Got to make the money somehow

West Mi Mudder

OHHHH YEAHHHHH
Reaction score
I know how that feels. Im working 50 hr weeks now that im hired in, and go to class 12 hrs a week. Not a ton but quite a bit. I will be sure to let you know if i get it running. If you bored, check out some of the 6.5L build threads, to see about some of the issues/upgrades/aftermarket, such as my build thread, and Great White.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Jeramy's truck is definitely not stock. But for farm truck purposes slow and steady still gets the job done. And the 6.5's can be cheaper to find parts for than a newer diesel. If you don't like the thought of a 6.5 after seeing the issues and such you could also consider some helper air bags. They can add an extra 5k to your towing capacity and having towed with a 5.3 before, they do great even with a load on them.

Sent from what is likely a government flagged smartphone. Tyler/T-Unit

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
6.5s were never designed and made for power. Back then they were designed as a fuel efficient alternative to gas.

As far as performance upgrades go, there's not a lot out there, and most of them aren't cheap.

~Via Mobile now Free

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score
The late model 6.5 diesels were decent engines, I would like one myself, definitely look at a 97-98 over any older years. As has been stated above, you won't be getting "Cummins" power out of them, or even Duramax power since that is not what it was built for. If you are wanting strictly power, I would look into a Duramax/Cummins/Powerstroke.

Sketch

Diesel Owner
Reaction score
I dont need something with a lot of "kick it in the ass power" just something that's going to pull when I need it to and daily drive every other day of the week. without the money to throw down on a Duramax or a cummins (would never own a powerjoke, unless I got one hell of a deal on one) I'm going to have to settle for a 6.5. truth is, I need a 2500. period. and can't afford the mileage of a gasser.