Long read of ?'s on my 88 tbi.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok well today I had a code 43, which I beleive was because the plguin was loose on the esc, which is in the back of the bracket on the intake, I think it's 3 wire, just like the tps is, and it's clip is broke so it had worked loose, probably thanks to me cleaning the IAc a few weeks ago. Anyways... I was checking things out and found 2 vac. leaks, the line going to the egr had 2 holes in it, which I just fixed, and the line going to the front of the tbi ps next to the pcv vac. line had 2 ports on the elbow, and one was broke off, must have went to the smog pump diverter valve? Anyone know? The other goes to the map sensor I guess, it's on the outer ps of the intake bracket. I glued that hole shut, since I use the elbow to run the line going I just mentioned above to the map sensor i guess.

So thing is, this miss I had, kind of a cough at idle and such, and hard miss at idle when in gear, up to temp. in traffic that kinda felt like it shook the truck, and the up to temp switching gears stall I had, would that be casued by the leaks? They've been there since I've been driving it, and so have the issues I just mentioned.

Would that also be why I had to advance the dist. to get any power out of it?

Now this is the sensor part, all questions about them, mostly as to what they should do if the truck is running and I unhook them one at a time. Would they make it raise idle, loose idle, stall, no change or what?.....

first up...

egr, when you push it in isn't it supposed to make the engine bog down?

Mine doesn't, it did nothing when I pushed the inside of it in, it went in smooth and came out, but did nothing to idle.

tps, when unplugged the idle speed changed, I think it sped up.

the esc connector or whatever it was in the back 3 wire plugin, maybe not the esc, but in the back ps of the bracket, did nothing.

the vac. line going to the egr made no difference

the vac. line going to the map right off the back of the tbi, made it almost die, then picked up to normal when I unhooked it, and when I hooked it back up, with my thumb over it was normal, thumb off sucking air raised idle speed.

Seemed odd to me to drop off and almost die then pick up when unhookd then hooked back up.

I think that's all i got for now.