Lighting Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sniper7202

Reaction score
I put tinted headlight on mine and it cut down the push of my hids a lot. They looked great in the day time but at night I couldn't see anything. So I got some black housing with clear plastic and its a lot better then the tented ones I had but not as good as chrome clear lamps. I'm thinking about going back to the clear chrome lights when I have some extra cash laying around. :) hope this helps

Ben

DCorvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks Ben! I appreciate the info! I was thinking about going with dark housing I figured if I did the back piece it'd work a little better!

What do you think?

Sent from the Z71

sniper7202

Reaction score
Id say if the lens is clear I don't see why it wouldn't work. It just won't be as bright as the chrome.

Ben

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I had some tinted tails on my 300, they were "clear smoked" from DEPO. Very light tint to them. Too f'ing dark to really see the red painted bulbs included with them, and still not even that bright with some really bright LED's. I eventually put the factory tails back on.

Smoked clear with Autolumination "50 watt" CREE LED's in all positions, brakes on (top bulb in the housing)
You must be registered for see images attach

To me, the biggest problem with any kind of tinted tail is actually in daylight, not night. With the sun's glare to the back of the vehicle, it's very hard for people behind you to see your brake lights. Get rear-ended and the cop may end up blaming you.

Richard

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
I had some tinted tails on my 300, they were "clear smoked" from DEPO. Very light tint to them. Too f'ing dark to really see the red painted bulbs included with them, and still not even that bright with some really bright LED's. I eventually put the factory tails back on.

Smoked clear with Autolumination "50 watt" CREE LED's in all positions, brakes on (top bulb in the housing)
You must be registered for see images attach

To me, the biggest problem with any kind of tinted tail is actually in daylight, not night. With the sun's glare to the back of the vehicle, it's very hard for people behind you to see your brake lights. Get rear-ended and the cop may end up blaming you.

Richard

All my lights are tinted except my headlights. I like the look but like he said, very dim brake lights in the daylight.

DCorvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks guys I can see that its definitely a trade off between looks and visibility.

Sent from the Z71

DCorvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hahaha that sucks man. So the HIDs dont work any better with tinted/smoked/plain dark housing than a normal bulb?

Sent from the Z71

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
HIDs and HIRs do work better in some cases just anything with a tinted lense has its light output reduced. now a clear lense with a black housing would get you the look you want with the output you want. i wanted chrome and clear with my 4hi and Hyper HIDS and i can light up my entire neighborhood.