lighting help? friends truck is messing up.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

withoutfear33

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my buddy has a 1991 k1500 4x4 and he just got done rebuilding the front end on it (its been setting about a month) and he goes for a test drive and he doesnt have any dash lights or brake lights.. i had this same problem a few months ago and it was my cluster that was bad and a bad connection on brake light switch.. BUT on his we have replaced the switch and checked connections and they are all good.. we have even swapped my tail lights and clusted and everything from my truck to his truck so we knew it was good..

any ideas? i have no idea what it could be and the local auto elcetric shop will charge 85 an hour to trace down the wiring problem and fix it.

its a 91 single cab short bed auto with a 350 if that makes a difference..

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you check fuses?

Did you guys replace front end (grille, core support, etc)

or did you replace the suspension

withoutfear33

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
just the suspension, and yeah we checked and replaced all fuses with new ones just incase...

now that you mentioned it he did replace the grill and lights for junk yard stuff from a 96 to get rid of his W/T front end but the core support and alla that stayed the same.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do his parking lights work?

Do his turnsignals work?

Also make sure you TRIPLE check the little wheel slider/ dimmer thing for the dash lights.........ask me how I know......

As for the brake lights it could be the brake light switch down by the brake pedal.

withoutfear33

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do his parking lights work?

Do his turnsignals work?

Also make sure you TRIPLE check the little wheel slider/ dimmer thing for the dash lights.........ask me how I know......

As for the brake lights it could be the brake light switch down by the brake pedal.

yes turn signals, and tail lights work, headlights, parking lights all work.. the brake switch was switched for a brand new one and we even tried mine (a known working one) still no luck..

i know the dimmer switch is hooked to all this and we tried to swap in a diff one from a junk yard with no luck...

here is the weird thing the lights on the a/c and heater controls all work but when you turn the headlights on all the lights go off. that does lead me to think the dimmer switch may be bad BUT he just texted me and tried to check for power getting to rake light switch and it does not.. there is no power to the switch at all.

withoutfear33

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
im at work and he texted me again saying hes tried to hook power/ ground wires to everything several diff ways with no luck..