l31 vortec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
No clue, iv never paid anyone to pull one. they only have 8 bolts + the exhaust holding them in.

98_k1500

Reaction score
Wiring is easy, just don't forget the one on the back of the p/s pump an under the crankshaft. You have the heater, radiator, and ps hoses to get off. Fuel lines just have 1 bolt. With normal hand tools and something to pick the engine up with, i can sit one of these in the shop floor in under an hour.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
LOL I guess I should have tried it first, here is the link for the whole sight, just click what you are looking for, stock or performance. http://www.pmcmachine.com/

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Click the product tab first then you can choose, stock or performance. I have 206,000 on my 97 L31. I know these engines are good for 300, 000 + miles. All you parts, including wiring will just plug into the new engine, as you will re use all of this. If you take a lot of pics of everything first that will give you something to look at when you put things back together. Also youtube is a grate source of info.

98_k1500

Reaction score
Their 2 bolt and 4 bolt vortecs are the same price. In that case, might as well get the 4 if they will take your 2 bolt block as a core.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
And a ton of wires, etc. I can't blame the guy for being hesitant.
Gotta start somewhere. You either start with some wrenches and get dirty, or you start with a checkbook. Nothing wrong with either way, just choose the path - commit and do it.

Wiring is easy, just don't forget the one on the back of the p/s pump an under the crankshaft. You have the heater, radiator, and ps hoses to get off. Fuel lines just have 1 bolt. With normal hand tools and something to pick the engine up with, i can sit one of these in the shop floor in under an hour.

Agreed. Engine swap same for same is easy. Wiring harnesses have a memory of sorts; once you lay it back on the engine most of the connectors will "find" their way to their general area and just hook 'em back up. For the beginner: digital pictures are practically free; take a bazillion during removal, use as reference during reinstall.

Richard

Birchyboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Gotta start somewhere. You either start with some wrenches and get dirty, or you start with a checkbook. Nothing wrong with either way, just choose the path - commit and do it.

I don't disagree at all. That said, there are easier projects to get comfortable with at first than an engine swap. I would love to do my own, and might if I had a garage without a wife attached to it. I'm not afraid to screw up once in a while, but the wife has long memory :(

peyton4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I thought he ment me rebuild the motor myself lol. A swap I might get my dad to be able to assist me.

peyton4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you guys would do me a favor and look at the link and go to the Chevy motors and tell me if part number ch524 is a long block or not and if it will work in my truck