L31 Extreme Budget Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My tip of the day for anyone considering Hedman headers. Anytime I install a Hedman header of any kind with a 3" collector, I cut the dumb ball and socket end off and use these, much less of a PITA over time. Flowmaster also makes these in 3.5" to 3" for larger header setups on bigger engines.

I only use V bands now that I’ve tried them. Not just any V bands these ones lock in positively and no leaks. I’m currently using 2.5, 3.5 and 5” V bands from them on turbo applications.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nevermind, all I had to do was go up one post to get your answer.
I had that problem the first time I installed a set with the ball and socket and after that I started tapping the adapter up over the ball with a dead blow hammer to make it conform to the ball before I assembled it all under the vehicle.
The problem I have had is they deform and the 3 bolt flanges on the header side at one point were paper thin and bent easily.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I like the looks of that, much smoother transition. But how well does a regular band clamp work when that cone shape is gonna be bigger than 2.5" OD where the band makes contact?
The picture they have is playing tricks on your eyes. I actually to have a couple pair of them here at the shop. The cones are a consistent size for about 2" on each end. The header end is 3" ID to slide over the 3" tubing of the header collector. The collector end is 2.5" OD for a piece of flared up 2.5" tubing to slide over. The band clamps fit them great with about 1" of actual pipe overlap.

You must be registered for see images attach

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just clamped this one up for you to see, fits great. The stainless clamps will also deform slightly to seal to somewhat inconsistent surfaces. I have loved these clamps ever since I started using them.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I actually already have that link saved from somewhere else you had posted it lol

You mentioned that you had some tubing hangers that don't use the horseshoe clamps, what style are you using?
These, they still clamp into place, but they do not have to be at an existing clamp or have to use a seperate clamp. It saves money not having to buy both the hanger and clamp seperately.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Just clamped this one up for you to see, fits great. The stainless clamps will also deform slightly to seal to somewhat inconsistent surfaces. I have loved these clamps ever since I started using them.

I've used them on a few vehicles and I do like them. Unfortunately on the Camaro they are consumable.

I will say that welding the flange to the header makes that style suck A LOT less.

They stay tight for a year or 2 now instead of a few months.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've used them on a few vehicles and I do like them. Unfortunately on the Camaro they are consumable.

I will say that welding the flange to the header makes that style suck A LOT less.

Curious what is going on with them on the Camaro? Are they failing from scraping the ground or in another way? On my Ram they were also kind of expendable as well. I used a pair of them to be able to drop the whole rear exhaust section past the 18" of header extension I had welded to the Pacesetter long tubes on it. The night before I took it to the track, I would drop the exhaust, and clamp on a pair of turn downs, slap the drag radials on the rear and the front runners on it that were actually just normal 17s off a basic Ram rather than my big heavy 20s. Between the exhaust, the track intake headlamp, and drag radials, that truck would pick up nearly a full second in ET.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why not use good quality V bands?
No real experience with them, but I know I would like to V-band the Thorley collectors on my 97 Express if the headers are off it again at some point. Do you have to weld the flanges into place? I use the clamps I do because it has worked as well if not better than welding for me and makes it a lot easier to construct an exhaust laying on your back under a vehicle on jack stands. Now days the basic exhaust pipe quality is terrible and I have found the exhaust tubing sold even by reputable companies cracking near the welds.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That's a cool trick!
I think y'all may be overtightening those flange bolts. I pull them till the flange just starts to bend and stop right there and haven't had any leak problems. Like I said before making the socket fit the ball stops all that initial loosening up till they do it themselves. I've never done it but I always thought to use springs like GM used on the manifolds.