K3500 Battery Cable Mess... Need to see OEM Setup please!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I will try to get a picture or two put up here as soon as I can, but for now I'll describe whats going on. My 2000 K3500 I'm finding is kind of a cobbled up nightmare. The P/O's had done some messed up crap with the battery cables. They took a regular group 78 side post battery and then put the screw in post terminals on that and then crimped those crappy replacement battery cable ends on them and then added some kind of an L bracket with a wing nut.... just absolute crap. This truck has the single battery setup on the passenger side in front of the air cleaner housing. There are at least three cables coming from the + terminal on the battery. One cable goes to the starter of course, one runs across the fan shroud and curves around back to the main fuse box and the third runs to the alternator. I assume that this setup is stock, but how they went from the typical sidepost cables to this mess is beyond me.

If anyone can help me out with a picture of how their stock setup is that would be great.

chipskittles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That sounds about right. I have a 94 but generally you will have one smaller gauge wire going from battery to alternator, one goes to fuses or junction block, as is my 94, and one goes to starter.

You can get new ac delco battery cables with nice new side terminals on amazon for sometimes less than $10 a piece depending on what length you need. I used 4SD54X(pos) and 2SD40XA(NEG). The positive has two 4 gauge leads and a 6ga alternator lead. I ran the 4 ga leads to my distribution block and then a separate 4gauge lead from dist. block to starter. You could run one of the leads straight to the starter but it makes removing starter easier the way i did it.

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That sounds about right. I have a 94 but generally you will have one smaller gauge wire going from battery to alternator, one goes to fuses or junction block, as is my 94, and one goes to starter.

You can get new ac delco battery cables with nice new side terminals on amazon for sometimes less than $10 a piece depending on what length you need. I used 4SD54X(pos) and 2SD40XA(NEG). The positive has two 4 gauge leads and a 6ga alternator lead. I ran the 4 ga leads to my distribution block and then a separate 4gauge lead from dist. block to starter. You could run one of the leads straight to the starter but it makes removing starter easier the way i did it.

I've checked amazon and haven't quite found one that matches my criteria. The cable that crosses the truck and heads to the fuse block would need to be roughly 6' long...

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Here's whats going on. Its a hideous mess, and probably why I never seem to have a full 14.5V