Just Signed Up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AccelR8

Reaction score
Hello to all! I just signed up and I guess an intro is in order.

My GM truck experience is as follows; my first was a like new, used 1971 C-10, inline 6 and three-on-the-tree. Then I bought a new '79, a beast of a truck that was also quite unique. It was built for sale in Iran but the hostage crisis made it impossible for GM to send it there so I got a great truck cheap. Next was an '89 C10 heavy duty, ext. cab with an 8 ft. bed. Put MANY miles on it. Best truck ever, no problems. When I sold it eleven years later it had no rust at all. I got a 2000 K2500 heavy duty 7.4 liter which I own now, and it's a real rust bucket.

I was an auto mechanic right out of high school and specialized in transmissions. I went to work for GM as an instructor and eventually worked in training program development at the Tech Center in MI., mostly transmission-related but other areas as well. GM's financial challenges and resulting changes caused me end up at Chrysler Corp. doing basically the same job...until DaimlerChrysler went through all their hardships and I became a, um, free agent. I owned a transmission business for about ten years and now I'm (semi)retired (can't let the wife hear me say that).

What brings me here is looking for information and knowledge. I'm about to undertake a major rust fixing project on my truck. Cab corners, rockers, door bottoms. Biggest issue is a severely rotted frame. I POR-15'd the frame some years ago but it's now got holes rusted through it in vital areas. I absolutely love the truck, it has low miles, I don't want to spend the money on a new one, and need/want a project so I found a used frame and the fun shall begin!

By the way, this is when somebody will say “it would be cheaper and easier just to just buy used rust-free truck out West...” I know that. That's not the point. This is something I want to do.

I there's interest I can start a thread documenting the project but it's going to take quite some time given the scope of what needs to be done.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. There is always interest in a project. Start the build thread.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Welcome! A build thread would be awsome!

Also, as long as your doing a complete frame swap, I would look into boxing the frame since your already that deep into it, there are a few ways of doing it but the best looking and strongest that I have seen was basically welding two frame together. Weld the left side of one to the right side of the other type of thing.

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello to all! I just signed up and I guess an intro is in order.

My GM truck experience is as follows; my first was a like new, used 1971 C-10, inline 6 and three-on-the-tree. Then I bought a new '79, a beast of a truck that was also quite unique. It was built for sale in Iran but the hostage crisis made it impossible for GM to send it there so I got a great truck cheap. Next was an '89 C10 heavy duty, ext. cab with an 8 ft. bed. Put MANY miles on it. Best truck ever, no problems. When I sold it eleven years later it had no rust at all. I got a 2000 K2500 heavy duty 7.4 liter which I own now, and it's a real rust bucket.

I was an auto mechanic right out of high school and specialized in transmissions. I went to work for GM as an instructor and eventually worked in training program development at the Tech Center in MI., mostly transmission-related but other areas as well. GM's financial challenges and resulting changes caused me end up at Chrysler Corp. doing basically the same job...until DaimlerChrysler went through all their hardships and I became a, um, free agent. I owned a transmission business for about ten years and now I'm (semi)retired (can't let the wife hear me say that).

What brings me here is looking for information and knowledge. I'm about to undertake a major rust fixing project on my truck. Cab corners, rockers, door bottoms. Biggest issue is a severely rotted frame. I POR-15'd the frame some years ago but it's now got holes rusted through it in vital areas. I absolutely love the truck, it has low miles, I don't want to spend the money on a new one, and need/want a project so I found a used frame and the fun shall begin!

By the way, this is when somebody will say “it would be cheaper and easier just to just buy used rust-free truck out West...” I know that. That's not the point. This is something I want to do.

I there's interest I can start a thread documenting the project but it's going to take quite some time given the scope of what needs to be done.
Where in Ohio do you live ? I'm about 20 miles north of Cincinnati.

AccelR8

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! To answer questions, I'm in Avon Lake. Boxing the frame...there's a thought. Worth considering. I'm also thinking about a solid axle swap, either at the time of the frame swap or later down the road. I just don't want to raise the truck any higher, at least not by much.