Just acquired a high school street bruiser from the early nineties.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rafterman

Reaction score
Through a chain of events I was able to buy an '88 Silverado stepside. This truck was first bought by my uncle in '91. He'd pick my brother and I up and we would go cruisin... occasionally street racing here in Laredo and across the border into Nuevo Laredo, Mexico. Good times indeed.

Anyway, before I bought it, one of my three brothers bought it from my uncle, after the truck was recovered after having been stolen and was just sitting in his driveway for several years.

My brother in his infinite wisdom as a diesel mechanic decided to sell the tbi motor and install a slightly modified 350 with carb.

So after sitting on the truck for about five years and not being able to get it to run, he gave up and I bought it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
I read that as, he is a diesel mechanic, and he installed a Carb'd 350 lol. Like, one not really having much to do with the other.

And diesel don't have carb's lol.

1ATony

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I like those old step sides. A buddy of mine had a red one it was really nice

Rafterman

Reaction score
I read that as, he is a diesel mechanic, and he installed a Carb'd 350 lol. Like, one not really having much to do with the other.

And diesel don't have carb's lol.

Correct, my brother is a diesel mechanic.... he pulled the TBI motor and replaced it with a carbed motor.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Took a while to get that cleared up. So what is going on with the truck now? What are your future plans? I like your title but most high school street bruiser I remember or owned didn't survive much past high school.

Rafterman

Reaction score
Issues:

Was able to get truck running for two or three days. I left for three weeks for some training, when I got back had issues getting her going again.

Initially the starter would stay engaged after he engine would start. Guy at Autozone (a mechanic by trade) told me to replace an ignition switch of some kind that goes at the bottom of the steering column. Truck was good for a few days then wouldn't start again. This time the starter started smoking. I know I checked the motor grounds to frame/ firewall/ radiator support, all good metal on metal.

The wiring harness was missing several wires from the unused sensors, cut at the computer (not very smart). I believe that there might be wires that should of been grounded from the unused sensors.

Is there a way to run the truck without any of the computer and harness??

I don't want a/c and am going to replace the gauges anyway.

Currently using the in tank pump. Is it possible to wire the pump without the computer??

Has new battery
New starter
New distributor
New intake
New carb

Your knowledge is greatly appreciated.