JUmpy Gauge Needles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I've seen stepper motors on ebay, but they're always for the GMT-800's. Anybody know where to get the one we need? I've got the vibrating gas needle to, but my oil pressure and voltage gauges move around a bit too. The oil pressure moves a bit left or right for a few seconds at random times, and the voltage gauge will read high, then the next time I drive the truck it will be low, then the next time high, etc. I haven't checked grounds yet, but plan on it.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've seen stepper motors on ebay, but they're always for the GMT-800's. Anybody know where to get the one we need? I've got the vibrating gas needle to, but my oil pressure and voltage gauges move around a bit too. The oil pressure moves a bit left or right for a few seconds at random times, and the voltage gauge will read high, then the next time I drive the truck it will be low, then the next time high, etc. I haven't checked grounds yet, but plan on it.

Our old 99 burb did exactly the same thing's, I also use my live data scanner to verify that the computer wasn't doing the same, and it indeed was not, it was just my cluster.

Oleg

Reaction score
Sorry to bump an old thread but has anyone found where to get stepper motors for the older trucks? I am having a similar problem with the voltmeter.

TruckinAin4Sissies

L.E.D. Whisperer
Reaction score
They're not "stepper's" rather "Coils"
Over time the viscosity off the oil that is injected (into the assembly) breaks down and stops the needle from moving slowly.

It's been discussed before but the end result was to buy new ones. Problem is WHO MAKES THEM?

97c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 97' had the same problem with the gas gauge there is a fix what you do is find a local speedometer repair shop and they can inject the grease in to the motor itself for about 50$

TruckinAin4Sissies

L.E.D. Whisperer
Reaction score
My 97' had the same problem with the gas gauge there is a fix what you do is find a local speedometer repair shop and they can inject the grease in to the motor itself for about 50$

The reason the needle is jumpy is because 1. The OIL in the unit has leaked-out over a period of time. Or 2. The oil has lost its viscosity.

In the event that new oil were injected- it'd only be temporary because It's (as of yet) impossible to prevent it from leaking right back out.

97c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Its a grey grease that is very thick and from what the guy at speedometer shop told me the grease doesn't leak it burns up due to the high temps in the cluster

Dszx13

ragged out Z71
Reaction score
Bringing this back to life.

I bought a 92 z71 today an the speedo is real bouncy. It doesn't register till it's shifts into second gear. I took the truck to my sisters an the speedo didnt do anything at all. Temp an gas gauge volt an rpm work fine. After I noticed the speedo not working I hammered on it to see if the speedo would move an nothing. But the oil pressure guage did a complete 180 from 30 psi mark. As soon as I let off it goes right back to 30 psi. I constantly see ads on Craigslist about repairing guages. Could that fix any of these problems?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wjauto1777