Fuel gauge needle vibrating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wwwebchief

Reaction score
We have a 1999 Yukon that we’ve replaced the cluster on to try eliminating a vibrating needle on the fuel gauge. That did not fix it. I’ve read it could be a ground issue, a loose fitting connection to the back of the cluster and also the fuel sending unit on the fuel pump assembly. We’ve not tried anything more than replacing the cluster. Has anyone had success with eliminating this issue? I hate to trouble shoot this if I could get a direct answer to what is the normal cause of this. Thanks in advance for any advice you guys can give.

mattillac

Lurker
Reaction score
Wonder if you replaced the cluster with a new or used one. Think the issue may be pretty common.

My fuel gauge does the hummingbird thing (flutters at the correct fuel level). Never really bothered me enough to fix or replace it (yet).

This is a good read here, with pics, links, video and such.

That is where I would start if / when I try and fix my gauge.

Welcome to the forum.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are the '98-up gauges the stepper-motor kind like my '03 Trailblazer has? Or are they the old-style balanced-coil style?

Seems to me there's a resistor or capacitor or somesuch on the circuit board for the old-style gauges intended to dampen the movement. When that fails, the gauge wiggles endlessly.

Wwwebchief

Reaction score
Wonder if you replaced the cluster with a new or used one. Think the issue may be pretty common.

My fuel gauge does the hummingbird thing (flutters at the correct fuel level). Never really bothered me enough to fix or replace it (yet).

This is a good read here, with pics, links, video and such.

That is where I would start if / when I try and fix my gauge.

Welcome to the forum.
We’ve already lubricated the air core stepper motors and still the fuel gauge vibrates. We’re probably going to replace the fuel pump assembly in hopes this corrects the problem. He has driven in quite a few miles and the gauge doesn’t seem to be working at all. We’re beginning to think it’s the sending unit now. Thanks for your reply.

Wwwebchief

Reaction score
Are the '98-up gauges the stepper-motor kind like my '03 Trailblazer has? Or are they the old-style balanced-coil style?

Seems to me there's a resistor or capacitor or somesuch on the circuit board for the old-style gauges intended to dampen the movement. When that fails, the gauge wiggles endlessly.
Our 1999 is the older “air core” type. We’ve added oil with a syringe to all the motors on every gauge and the fuel gauge seems to be the only one giving problems. I’ve read somewhere where if every other gauge is working fine then the fuel pump assembly with sending unit could be the problem. I’ll keep you guys posted.