JUmpy Gauge Needles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

el_beto

Reaction score
how do I fix jumpy gauge needles.
they move around randomly and do not stay still.

What needs to be replaced to be fixed?

THANKS!

chevyguy28

Reaction score
Not to high jack, but I';m haveing the same problem too. Gas gauge gets jumpy and at times will do 360's and hit the oil press gauge. Replaced the sending unit and it still does it, what else to check/replace?

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not to high jack, but I';m haveing the same problem too. Gas gauge gets jumpy and at times will do 360's and hit the oil press gauge. Replaced the sending unit and it still does it, what else to check/replace?

Possibly the stepper motor in the cluster!

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Stepper motor huh? Easy fix?

I don't honestly know, I've never had to replace one on a GMT400! But from what i've read, it's not to bad to replace. Shouldn't be any worse to replace then anyother one. But i hear that, the stepper motor is a fairly common problem with the GMT400's. What year is your truck?

el_beto

Reaction score
well, my gas gauge is jumpy, moves around too much when i drive,

also with my RPM, it sometimes does not move.

97c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the stepper motors are about 100$ and my esky cluster did the same thing when i got it repaired all they did was inject some grease in the motor to dampen it

Last edited:

chevyguy28

Reaction score
The truck is a 97, only the gas gauge does it. where is the stepper motor located and what does it look like?