Is this what a broken flexplate sounds like?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
You need to do some checking with a stethascope. Narrow down the search to a more specfic area. Just watch out for the rotating things. Hard on the ears when you hit something like the alternator blades.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
what does that have to do with the noise its making?

A fouled exhaust manifold gasket or loose bolts on one of the runners will sound exactly as he is describing. Sounds like a very bad lifter. This is very common if you used a 3 piece gasket set instead of a single.

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
what i'm hearing is a loud knocking, nowhere near a lifter or exhaust noise in his video its a loud knock at bottom of motor

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, as I mentioned a bad manifold gasket sounds like a knock. If you've never heard it then you would think it is a serious knock. It pops. Hard to tell anything by a sound bite over computer speakers. I wouldn't bet on the torque converter though. What is the oil pressure? Have you changed the oil and checked for shavings?

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
I cracked the flywheel in my moms car clean all the way around the 4 mounting bolts. It still ran, but made that EXACT noise at idle since it was loose, but when it was at higher RPMs, the higher rotation speed kept it straight and stable and you couldnt hear the noise. Just something to think about inspecting.

Blind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
pulled the tranny off and removed the flexplate today, I don't see any visible cracks but laying it on my level workshop table it doesn't sit flat, so I bought another and will slap it on tomorrow...crossing my fingers

Mercedes mechanic

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Try shifting the crank forwards and backwards (not rotation) I bet the main (thrust) bearing is worn out causing the crank to walk, and the rods to hit the weight's.

Also have you checked how much chain streach it has. I bet it is alot. As long as the journal is not scored you can put just that new bearing in, hold the crank straight and not have to remove the engine.

You can do it in the truck without taking any of the rest of the rotating assembly apart.

Last edited:

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
^^ If it is at that point I'd just rebuild it or buy a used one to rebuild. These motors are so cheap and easy to rebuild may as well get everything done. If the mains are loose, the rest will soon follow if it hasn't already.

Blind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I can't move the crank fore/aft at all, the oil pressure is ~60psi cold, I replaced the oil filter and cut open the old, there's no metal in it.

I'm pretty confident the noise is not in the shortblock.

Mercedes mechanic

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It requires a fair amount of force to move it. It has to pass thru eight rods and five main's.

Oil pressure would not have any effect on end play in the crank.

If it was bad enough it would end up making everything that was connected to it shift. Torque converter would jam into the transmission pump and the rotating assembly in the trans.

Might even throw the belts under a heavy load.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: