Is this the lower ball joint and is it supposed to look this way

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was hoping you guys could tell me if this is a lower ball joint. I'm stupid with the front end stuff. I noticed all this grease down the side of my tire on the bottom and when I push on that rubber boot it pushes grease out of a little hole. I'm not sure if that is a way to purge excess grease or if it is ripped.

You must be registered for see images

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
That's a mess, for sure. The tire is what bothers me. It's getting dripped on, and that's not normal. It looks like you could have a ripped boot, but it's hard to tell from a picture. I would take a small screwdriver and see it you can open up the rubber there, or if it's just coming around the outside of the boot. If you've got a pressure washer, clean that up!

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So if it is ripped then that whole part needs to be replaced? Is it the lower ball joint

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ugh. So is it best to do both uppers at the same time?

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
The drip on the tire looks too runny to be ball joint grease.

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's what I thought but it has been pretty hot so maybe that makes it easier for it to seep around? I touched the tire and that joint and they are both very sticky grease and are the same color

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I greased the front end of our truck just before we went on vacation. About 400 miles later my lower ball joint did the same thing. I just replaced all 4 joints earlier this year. Chck the joint for play (none in mine) and replace if needed.

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I recall, the way you check that is to Jack up that side and shake it from top to bottom. Is that right?