Is there a way to make the gas pedal less stiff?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gatorboy

You can keep your import.
Reaction score
I'm so used to switching back and forth between the two pedal pressures it doesn't even bother me. I personally like the stiff pedal feel because it's how many old muscle cars feel that I've driven. More vintage.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Possibly cutting a ring off the spring, then bending part over to make the thing that grabs the throttle. essentially shortening the spring making it lighter. i've been thinking about that since i got my truck. it's dangerous driving the '92 then getting into the '90 454SS with half the pedal pressure.

That sounds like a seriously good idea. I noticed on a Vortec 5.3 that was sitting in the shop, that the spring has less rings than mine does. Probably why they are so easy to open the throttle, even with your hand no problem. When I'm working under the hood of mine, i usually have to get some leverage on my hand against the intake or air cleaner bottom to be able to open the throttle even slightly.

tdslay12

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Most of the NBS Vortecs are Electronic Throttle control. I've driven some newer trucks and I really don't like the ETC. It takes very light pressure and when you hit bumps your foot moves up and down causing the motor to rev. The ETC also has a delay in response. I personally like how my pedal feels but I have the Vortec not TBI.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Most of the NBS Vortecs are Electronic Throttle control. I've driven some newer trucks and I really don't like the ETC. It takes very light pressure and when you hit bumps your foot moves up and down causing the motor to rev. The ETC also has a delay in response. I personally like how my pedal feels but I have the Vortec not TBI.

Yeah i know exactly what you're talking about. We have three Vortec 5.3's sitting at the shop, two are cable-driven throttles, and the third looked funny to me. Up until that point, i didnt even know ETC existed! Just connected the dots. Very interesting, but i would NOT trust it, personally. The cable-driven Vortecs are SOOO responsive, you can practically feel the road through your foot and steering wheel. My friends' mom's Yukon Denali (LQ4) is sooo fun to drive.

tdslay12

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep. In my shop we have seen alot of issues where the throttle body(which has the throttle position sensor on it) go bad. When this happens youre just driving down the road and all throttle is lost and truck just idles. replacing that throttle body as you can imagine is a expensive fix also.

DR CHOP

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Try a new throttle cable , 27 bucks at dealer. Messed with mine for 3 months till I read about on another forum. Cable must wear out the sleeve at the ends where they come out of it. 20 minute job, couldn't believe the difference.

kwbudaman

Reaction score
Try a new throttle cable , 27 bucks at dealer. Messed with mine for 3 months till I read about on another forum. Cable must wear out the sleeve at the ends where they come out of it. 20 minute job, couldn't believe the difference.

Second the motion!